Post Mortem review by Black Tide

• Released: Aug 23, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Black Tide: Post Mortem

Three years ago (2008) when I first heard Black Tide's ferocious debut album "Light From Above" I instantly fell in love with their fast and polished speed metal sound. Their combination of Bullet For My Valentine type choruses mixed with early Slayer and Metallica type instrumentals created a sound that was both familiar and refreshing. After a long three years of anticipation Black Tide has released their sophomore effort, "Post Mortem". Unfortuanately my ears were filled with dissapointment throughout the majority of the album. In the three years separating the two releases Black Tide have managed to almost completely ruin their sound in an attempt to sound more mature as a whole. This modification forced the aspiring metal superstars to now sound like thirty year old rock & roller's who are a good 10 years past their prime. Any elements of "classic metal" are nowhere to be found on "Post Mortem" and instead were replaced by what sounds like a combination of irritating Bullet For My Valentine ripoff verses, wimpy Three Days Grace/Seether choruses, and dull instrumentals that sound like they were written 15 minutes before they were recorded. The album starts off promisingly with the furious and energetic track "Ashes, which sounds just like early Bullet For My Valentine (and coincidently features BFMV vocalist Matt Tuck). Then the album takes a turn for the worse when the next two tracks "Bury Me" and "Let It Out" are extremely forgettable, boring, and clich, a reacurring problem throughout "Post Mortem". The album goes back to "heavy" with the hit single "Honest Eyes" but quickly changes back to it's irritating clich radio-friendly style immediately afterwards. The whole middle section of the album is forgettable and lame mainly consisting of "hard rockish" instrumentals that occasionely produce something that makes you want to get out of your chair, but are mainly backgrounded behind the whiny unoriginal singing throughout each song. As the album comes to a close with "Walking Dead Man" and "Into The Sky" I realize how truly dissapointing the entire album was.

I'm not going to go into very much detail about the lyrics present in "Post Mortem". However I am going to say that Black Tide's lyrics have never been what they're known for. The lyrics on "Light From Above" are mainly fantasy-based and for the most part are fun and even somewhat silly, just like most speed metal albums. However on "Post Mortem" the lyrics are more serious and obviously had more time and thought put into them. That being said I still do not like the lyrics on "Post Mortem". The clich themes about death, girls, and the afterlife are tiresome and overdone. Another one of the major turnoffs of the album is that the cover of "Post Mortem" is a cartoon picture of a person who has hung themselves. The cover suggests that the album is going to be humoresly dark and fun but not totally serious. However that contradicts the "serious" lyrics that are present throughout every single song.

Overall this album is a huge dissapointment mainly because I know this band is capable of much better. Not every band out there has the potential to be a metal band but I strongly believe that these guys do. This album portrays Black Tide as a "wannabe" metal band or a band that just doesn't have it together enough to be in metal. The spectacular shredding and overall audacity that was apparent on "Light From Above" is nowhere to be found on "Post Mortem". I know they still have it in them because it shows for a few seconds in the short lived solos throughout the album and in the energy present in the tracks "Ashes", "Honest Eyes", and "Walking Dead Man". I still have hope that Black Tide can pull it together and be one of the biggest names in metal throughout the 21st century. For true fans like myself, overlook "Post Mortem" and wait for their next release a couple years down the road. Be sure to catch them live on the Uproar tour this fall!

da.benson8r
    Their touring with more hardcore bands really seems to have had a negative impact on their sound. Totally agreed, Light from Above had an amazingly original sound - who had written anything remotely like "Warriors of Time" in the past 20 years? Then it seems their success bit them in the ass in the worst possible way - it seems more like a "Who should we copy today?" kind of perspective from them than "Let's write songs for the music." On top of that, Gabe's new look is atrocious to me, just saying. If this is what they want, then so be it, and it's good that there are people who enjoy their music, indeed. However, I'm not one of them this time around.
    goingnowhere21
    I remember these guys. Light From Above was an awesome album, and even still in their teens they looked pretty badass and capable of being metal's next big thing. But dude, this is depressing.
    ature=related They changed their look and sound almost completely. They're not even the same band anymore. Fail.
    MetallicAddict3
    wow, you guys sound like *****s right now. at least their getting money off their music and playing what they wanna. that's what being in a band is supposed to be, playing what you wanna, not what you're expected to play. oh and i love the new cd :troll:
    guitarist41
    I loved the singles from their last record. Cheesy but undoubtedly awesome. I've heard a few songs from this. I thought they sounded too much like BFMV, and that's not a good thing.
    Seref
    I loved Light From Above, it was a raging collection of heavy metal with a varying range of stylistic musicality--from Warriors of Time to Black Abyss to Live Fast Die Young . Their newer stuff is pretty bland and indistinguishable from any other metalcore band.
    Cannibal Koala
    CSMusic wrote: 90% of people hating the album do so because they are metal elitists who can't stand anything "popular" sounding. That being said, this album was not as strong as their last, but not awful either.
    Where did you get this 90% figure? How do you know that they're metal elitists? And how wrong are they really when you're pretty much agreeing with them? Seems ignorant, imo. Anyway, I liked Light From Above. Warriors of Time was one of those songs that I couldn't stop listening to. Sad to see that some of their fans aren't finding any joy in this album. I'll go check this out ASAP.
    Bananafish003
    Or people who love pop music and can't stand anything that pretends to be alternative while pandering to a certain demographic for marketing purposes. That being said, it's hilarious seeing this album featured in a huge ad on the home page and then seeing this review of it.
    GenerationKILL
    This album sucks. I've tried listening to the whole thing at least twice. I am VERY disappointed that they opted out to trying to be like BFMV or a lesser Trivium. I suspect the record company they're signed to had something to do with this, they even look different in their videos. I'm not some snob metal elitist, I actually quite like alot of mainstream or popular metal, like Trivium. But I was really shocked when I saw their new video and saw how they've changed their look and their sound... Downtuned guitars? They sound like a BFMV knock off, which shouldn't be surprising considering Matt Tuck guests on a track on this new album... VERY let down...
    Zan595
    Haha, just like Suicide Silence's latest failure of an album, this is covering the homepage while getting the worst reviews.
    robertito696
    Their older stuff reminded me why I loved thrash in the first place, it wasn't very original but it was fun. Sadly, that's not the case anymore.
    MDogg1077
    i didnt even think thier first album was good. It was way to edited and way to "mainstream sounding". It really lacked a good guitar and vocal sound.
    blakebass
    ^Extremely well said sir.
    pancho.legaspi
    You read my mind, i've knew black tide from 2007 and it became the most promising band i've ever heard of. Now that i'm 16 y.o. i still listen to light from above and think of all the things black tide could've done. Thanks for your review it was awesome
    rivalmage
    I agree that they aren't as good as they were. But they have changed and grown. seen and done things that have changed them. I'm not a great fan of the new cd but i am quite into a few of the songs. prefer LFA but i'm not gonna hate on this cause it's different. They both have different reasons to love them and hate them
    Gerbaschlonk
    Since they seem to be jumping on the bandwagons lets hope the next album has some Djent in it. Anyway, regardless of how generic their new sound is, it's a testament to their talent that they could so easily churn an album out on par with anything Escape The Fate released, even at their young age.
    CHrolo
    Well said Gerbaschlonk I for me got to know the band because Honest eyes was used in the SFxT-Trailers and long time I didn't get attached that much from a song in this genre Heard Light from above after Honest eyes und Bury me and in the end we can say I'm not that metal-elitist and prefer good metalcore, although I love their old songs Light from above, Give me a chance, Shout or Black widow. But like Gerb. said, they could so easily change their sound and are still sounding great, although I personally think the lyrics could or have to be better x_X But I like the huge flow of the catchy 'Take it easy' or the Opener Ashes where I surprisingly like the lyrics (but cannot decide where Matt and where Gabe is singing) and my favourite song still is Honest eyes, also from the new CD. Only thing I would criticize a bit is the pop-influence here and there, for example I don't like 'Into the sky'
    SUICIDEXX666
    this is a peace of shit what happen to the speed and the aggression they better make a comback after this horrible album
    EpiExplorer
    axl-is-awesome wrote: I understand what everybody is saying. I don't agree but I understand where your closeminded-ness is being spawned. I give this album an unbiased listen since I know the guys. I personally think it's great. I mean I know everybody wanted LFA but really? How would you expect them to put out similar material after all of the changes they've been through? I mean despite all of the obvious changes theyve had (Gabes voice change and age difference,new guitarist..etc) look who theyve toured with over the past 3 years. The have EXTENSIVELY toured with BFMV and ETF. It wouldve been very strange if it didnt have an impact on their sound. I know what i say is going to be booed mainly because people LOVE negativity, especially when it comes to music reviews. i just wish my opinion is accepted as much as all of the people who have horrible things to say. respect Black Tide and respect their music. Even if you dont like the changes respect them for still being a touring and working band.
    No, look, Mr Bumpain, you can try and convince YOURSELF that you like it, but obviously you're barking to the wrong crowd. This is as basic and as typical as whatever passes for 'popular metal' this year (whatever it'll be next year will probably have even less substance).
    CSMusic
    Bassface7
    Totally agree. Was looking forward to seeing them at Sonisphere so much but when they played they did all songs off their new album except one. Massive dissapointment
    pushcarich
    EpiExplorer
    pushcarich wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Just awful. As soon as all the popular metalcore artists break album number 3, they lose whatever sense of purpose they had, now they all sound like this, apart from Trivium. and apart from Unearth. you CANNOT forget the amazing beautiful awesomeness that is Unearth
    Meh, I guess. Not too big on the melodies but they're skilled enough to make their stuff listenable.
    mcjosh
    Engel22
    A rather promising Speed/Thrash band at first, but they've certainly blown it now.
    6StringBlazer
    mcjosh wrote: Yeah, this sucks. I was a huge fan when they released Light From Above, but not anymore :/
    Ive only heard one song from the new album. Is the whole thing really that bad? Thats a shame..
    maximumrocker
    I didnt know they were coming out with a new album Well, honestly from what I have read they have taken a turn for the worse....
    axl-is-awesome
    twomintomid
    The album has some good songs but the rest is just filler. Look for these: 1) That Fire 2) Walking Dead Man 3) Honest Eyes 4) Ashes Overall not a horrible album, but hopefully they go back to their original sound now that the sophomore experimentation is out of their system.
    Duality Ninja
    All I wanted was more stuff like Warriors of Time. The first time I heard that song, I could not stop listening to it, and now they release this...
    Loki_37
    Well my brother has been super into their debut the last few weeks - doesn't like screamed vox much but loves solos and decent singing - so this is disappointing for me. Only heard the first few songs, will probably not be picking it up after the reviews I've read. Decent review, btw
    FadetoBlackened
    I saw them when they opened for Maiden. Very boring material. The people near me in the audience said they were almost booed off the stage at the show the night before. After hearing them, I understood why.
    WyldeKnotHead
    axl-is-awesome
    they didnt get rid of their singer/guitarist....
    WyldeKnotHead wrote: I agree. when I heard their new songs it sounds like shitty Escape TF. and other whinny bullshit metalcore songs or what ever you call it. I liked their first album but since they got rid of their lead singer/guitarist they forgot what music is about. sad and tragic.