Post Mortem review by Black Tide

• Released: Aug 23, 2011
Black Tide: Post Mortem

Sound is very sharp, crisp, and pleasing to the ear. Vocals are on the high end, but ON THE ALBUM they are executed to near perfection. Genre? Maybe: metal/hard rock/punk-metal/alternative. Thing is, there is no genre for that album. The theme of the album is apparent, and I'll leave it at that. I don't touch that subject, I just comment on the music, which is great; haven't taken it out of the stereo in my truck, or switched albums on my I-pod yet... Now more on the sound: The drumming in this album is impressive. The beats are very fast but change and skip frequently to create a memorable sound for each song. The heavy songs are good because the guitar is heavy/dark/metal sounding and the lead guitar lines are also difficult. They have a melody of their own, and fill the space without vocals well. Screams occur in a few tracks but are minor, which is nice. The softer songs are good because they have VERY good melodies and NO screams. If I had to describe their style using other bands, I would say they sound like: Iron Maiden, Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Crossfade, The Mars Volta, and Strung Out. If you like ANY of these bands, listen to this album.

The theme of the album is apparent and was fairly well conceived. Every song is good and has catchy melodies, and most lyrics are learnable by repetitious listening. The vocals seem to fit the energy in the songs well, and the singer has skills because they are on key.

Everyone liked their first album; it made them legends... This one is different. It's a little softer and more melodic. That's why some people don't appreciate it. I think true musicians appreciate anything that is pleasing to the ear and takes musical skill/talent, don't you? If you didn't say yes, you are either insecure or narrow minded. But don't worry, everyone goes through that phase in junior high... So give yourself a pat on the back for not being one of THOSE people and listen to the album! Just listen to it for free on youtube and see if you like it. Musically, the album is very sophisticated, and is pleasing to the ear; in fact, it grows on you. The lyrics are sung in such catchy melodies and these guys are extremely good musicians/vocalists. The album as a whole is solid. There isn't one song that stands out more than the others in my mind because they are all good and it flows nicely from song to song. Bottom line, I don't see how you could give this album anything but a 10. That's what I gave it.