Post Mortem review by Black Tide

• Released: Aug 23, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Black Tide: Post Mortem

Black Tide make a controversial return with their sophomore effort, after a dramatic change in sound following their debut. They've gone from all-out thrash metal to.. Well, it's hard to tell really. They seem like Bullet For My Valentine Jr. and in my opinion, they've pretty much failed to top their debut. Lest not forget, though, the album in itself as a standalone (Forgetting Light from Above) isn't awful. Some tracks seem like filler and are pretty forgettable, but to make up for that there are some great ones. The bass can barely be heard, however, and the way the drums sound can be considered annoying. So, here's my track-by-track: 01) Ashes - This opener is probably the best song on the album. Fairly good lyrics, great vocals (Especially the vocals, both clean and screamed, contributed from Matt Tuck of BFMV himself) and a solo reminiscent of their debut. Spectacular ending, too. 02) Bury Me - The first single that i'm sure most of you have heard by now. At this point the album starts failing to deliver. Not much can be said about this song, as it's a pretty bland track in comparison to Ashes. 03) Let It Out - The first of the 'fillers' I mentioned earlier - The only part of this five-minute song that attracts interest is the guitar solo, again a reminder of their first record. 04) Honest Eyes - A track that seems fairly distorted and in some ways, feels overproduced. On this song there's just too much going on at once. The lyrics on this song, as expected in the majority of Black Tide's music, are fairly childish too. 05) That Fire - One of the few songs that shows off Black Tide's ability as musicians. Despite the total failure on lyrics, the track boasts fairly good vocals, A short yet blistering solo and an interesting intro complete this piece. 06) Fight 'Til The Bitter End - More filler. This is pretty much a pop track, complete with terrible lyrics - For some strange reason the last part of the chorus reminds me of Britney Spears. The track just doesn't show their development as musicians. 07) Take It Easy - And another filler track... From the first listen I disliked this track. The only area of slight interest is the sudden change in pace as the song's bridge opens. 08) Lost In The Sound - A song with positive lyrics (Fairly good ones, too) relating to 'bringing faith' to the poor and hungry. The 'good cause' does not change the track however - The track again seems like filler, dull and uninteresting as per usual with this album. 09) Walking Dead Man - Possibly the heaviest track on the record. Far from the worst, but not the best. From the moment the first solo ends (Before the first line of clean vocals has even begun) the song seems fairly dull, but does contain a similar atmosphere to that of a Trivium song. 10) Into The Sky - Worst song on the album - The lyrics are caring yet weak, and the vocals are fairly whiny. This song would have a lot more potential as a standalone track had it contained a decent guitar solo (Although the first half of the song is acoustic) but it's lack of it, ruins the song for me.

In a nutshell, the lyrics are horrible and repetitive - But above all, childish. Take, per say, the first lines of "Walking Dead Man" as an example, it just proves my point further: "You have nothing You have nothing You have no heart No mind of your own" With the exception of Ashes, the band have failed to deliver, lyrically. And to make things worse, Gabriel Garcia's vocals are horrid for the most part - There are some good moments but overall his singing has been almost completely ruined by puberty.

Overall, the album has some good and bad points, and reminds you of bands like Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium. It's no Light From Above, but it's a nice try at a different area of metal nonetheless. Black Tide fans (At least, those who do not mind the change in sound, considering the majority of their fanbase have resented the 'new' Black Tide) hoping to find an album overflowing with amazing guitar solos reminiscent of their debut will be disappointed - There are only a couple of truly inspiring 'guitar hero' moments throughout the entire album.

AnnihilationUK
    blakebass wrote: CSMusic wrote: 90% of people hating the album do so because they are metal elitists who can't stand anything "popular" sounding. That being said, this album was not as strong as their last, but not awful either. ^Extremely well said sir.
    I like more pop music than this... i liked old Black Tide... i love Extreme metal. I am not bias at all but this is just a guff album.
    Mistermetee
    @howdyhat your saying that this album sounds like something metallica, maiden, and mars volta would make? you've got to be ****ing kidding me. its a crappy stupid album and you have no idea what you're talking about. go freshen up on your music knowledge and then you can write a review.
    brutalbl00d
    Hey what ever happened to that new song they played live "REDEFINE"?!? haha wonder if they just scrapped it O_o
    satanskid69
    "THIS ALBUM SUCKS." I'm very dissapointed w/ the change of band members calling themselves blacktide w/ this album.
    jonabeast
    Alot of bands have had the dreaded Sophmore Slump albums...like Weezer's Pinkerton for instance (though now a classic).