Post Mortem review by Black Tide

• Released: Aug 23, 2011
Black Tide: Post Mortem

Ok first off: metal elitists take note. This is NOT a metalcore album. Metalcore has screaming in it, and Post-Mortem doesn't fit that bill except for the song Walking Dead Man, where it nicely compliments the angry lyrics. Really, this isn't really a metal album at all. Gabriel (the singer) has said in interviews that besides his voice changing being a factor in the sound of Post-Mortem, his musical influences have also changed. Now instead of just Metallica et al, he also listens to Incubus and The Beatles. While there is nothing that sounds like either of those bands, it is obvious this band wanted to become a melodic metal/hard rock band. Now it this album perfect? Absolutely not. But it isn't as bad as other people have led you to believe. There's still some catchy riffage, and I like Gabe's new voice. I'm not a huge fan of Ashes, it doesn't do it for me. But the next song, Bury Me, is one of my favorites. I love the riff, and the catchy chorus. Skip over Let It Out, it's kinda bland. That gets us to track #4, Honest Eyes. It's probably the only song that sounds like anything like Light From Above. The only tracks I really love after that are That Fire, Fight Til The Bitter End, and Walking Dead Man. BUT, Post-Mortem as a whole isn't utter shit.

Yeah, I'll admit it. Gabe's lyrics on this album suck on a few songs. The main ones I'm pointing to are Bury Me & That Fire. His lyrics overall are clinched, but that is pretty consistent with BT's new sound. The lyrics on Honest Eyes are pretty eh, but the chorus saves the song. I like the lyrics to Walking Dead Man. They embody what I'd like to tell some people in my life. As far as Gabriel's new "voice", I like it. It is a bit whiny, but he can still pull the gritty voxs (Walking Dead Man is evidence of that). There is one note he hits in Bury Me right before the breakdown/bridge that sounds eerily like Sebastian Bach. So, lyrics thumbs down, voxs thumbs partly up.

Yes, people will be quick to judge. They'll say that Post-Mortem isn't good enough to be a metal album. What they're missing is, this really ISN'T a metal album! It's a very heavy hard rock album. Black Tide can still play their instruments and write good riffs. They're just playing differently. The vocal department got better and worse. The voice is better, but the lyrics are worse. However, I don't listen to Black Tide for the lyrics. I listen to them for the sweet guitar riffs and solos! Post-Mortem is a sophomore slump for Black Tide. But it isn't as bad as people think. I like it, but I know that bands go through growing pains and bad periods. I would like to see their next record be more developed in this sound, and the lyrics to improve. I'd replace it if it were stolen/lost.

Omen_666
    Wow, so much hate/love... feels like A7X all over again. Personally, i loved Post Mortem over LFA. They're both good albums in their own right. I appreciate the fact that black tide has chosen to take a new route, and try a different approach.
    Omen_666
    Also, have to say my favorite songs are: Bury Me Honest Eyes Fight Til The Bitter End Take It Easy Into Tbe Sky
    highandmighty93
    dudes don't say it sucks cuz u dont like it. i'm sure plenty of people will say the stuff u listen to sucks cuz they dont like it. I liked this album but never really gave their first one a good listen to but just cuz they've gone "softer" doesnt make it bad, just different
    slayerdude
    God, why is everyone ripping on this band? Think about if they DID re-create LFA. It would've sucked ass, Gabe recorded the album in 8th grade, and when they debuted it and toured, it sounded really bad because his vocie had matured. I personally think this is a great album. Maybe somewhat generic, but it has killer riffs, solos, and vocals. Very intricate, detailed, and a good point to move forward from! LFA was an amazing album, and so is this one, just a somewhat different style!!