Rebels review by Black Veil Brides

• Released: Dec 12, 2011
Black Veil Brides: Rebels

Having an early listen to the glam metal band out of Hollywood, "Black Veil Brides". Their new EP "Rebels" is groundbreaking. Having an edge of classic rock, with a modern twist, within the double bass and heavy guitar riffs, along with Andy Biersack's "New and improved" screaming. This adds a brilliant touch to the one original track on the album. The album features the hit 80's anthem "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol, and a not so big hit by the party rockers known as "Kiss", the track Black Veil Brides will be covering is "Unholy". Featuring Zakk Wylde, The legendary guitarist that has played with the best. Black Veil Brides will make their fans happy with one new original track, titled "Coffin". Starting off with a shredding drum solo by C.C.(Christian Coma), and a guitar solo by Jake Pitts. Andy starts singing on this track, as normal I would expect his mediocre to average monotone voice to come out. To my surprise he has actually trained his vocals, and It sounded better than what I heard off of "We Stitch These Wounds" and "Set The World On Fire". This EP WILL NOT Disappoint.

Only having one original track on the "Rebels" EP, it's hard to tell how much his vocals have improved, but what I did hear, I was astonished. The lyrics for "Coffin" were dark, beautiful, and filled with meaning. More than the title lets on. The music also goes along really well with the instruments.

As usual, Andy sounds like no one else on the metal music scene, and hes changed it so that no one will ever sound like him or Black Veil Brides. The only thing I would change ( And that they need to work on) is their guitar solo's, sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between solo's in all three of the songs, as the same in their past three albums. Overall, this album shows their talent, and I can't wait for more.

Engel22
    stndrdprcdre
    Somebody should tell these guys that Steel Panther beat them to the punch and does it about 100 times better. SP figured it out. If you're going to do the whole 80's glam rehash thing at this point , you have to go completely off the edge and be funny about it.
    JB95
    "As usual, Andy sounds like no one else on the metal music scene, and hes changed it so that no one will ever sound like him or Black Veil Brides." Thanks god for that. I was afraid of thinking there would be more bands like this.
    Sparda93
    Engel22 wrote: Groundbreaking? I don't think so, somehow. These guys aren't doing anything to "Change the Metal scene", they're just riding the waves of mainstream popularity brought on by making themselves appeal to teenage girls who buy into that kind of image. Alice Cooper called, him, KISS, and every Norwegian Metal band want their images back.
    Thanks, i think they stole my Norwegian Black Metal corpsepaint this morning.. Other note, though, his screaming is terribly bad, and his cleans below average, sorry to say.
    Redd_dymond
    Ibeanez wrote: Even metalcore is 100 times better than 80's glam.
    F*** you. I challenge you to a rock off.
    a drummer
    what really funny is the guitarist in this band had a small interview in guitar-world a few months ago. His ego was so big that the next month there was a page pretty much stating that he's an Idiot, and he has no business saying that his own band is the only band worth listening to. One day they'll see beyond the mascara, and realize how bad they are failing.
    Air_Stryker
    BloodInYourEyes wrote: Wow :O so many comments and so many haters. First of all. Name One FUCKING Band that sounds like black veil brides, Because i don't know anyone that does. as for their drummer,yes he is a ****ing legend, so is the guitarist, and yes andy isnt that great live, but its the message they spread, that makes them so big, not how they look, as for "BVBARMY#1", Shut the **** up you ****ing fan girl, its people like you that make black veil brides look Bad.
    False, Black Veil Brides make Black Veil Brides look bad.
    kosmarock
    Don't forget Motley Crue! But yeah, this review is almost as bad as the band/cd itself. THIS IS MY FAVOURITE BAND, IMA GIVE YOU 10/10! *facepalm*
    mr7string
    lolwut.jpg
    Black Veil Brides needs to realize they're not going anywhere with their pre-teen scene kid crowd.
    D3DandG0N3
    Ladmia
    dragozan
    Now i dont mind BVB. I saw them live, and the drummer is phenomonal live, and so are the bassist and one of the guitarists; so full of charisma and talent. One guitarist had the talent but didnt do much, but sadly to say, it is Andy who lets the side down; not the best singer at all. At the same time though, I cant imagine the band with another singer. Still, they're far from my favorite tastes in music, but they're not as musically terrible as people are making out
    Ibeanez
    Just took my first look at the band. Looks like they now sell turds in packs of 5.
    EpiExplorer
    Even if they 'sound unique' to you, that sound is awful. Apparently the biggest excuse for 'progression' that metalcore can come up with is random genre mashing. Just look at effing IWABO, no talent, just an obnoxious group of attention seekers.
    darkdevout
    As I was going to say, something messed up but This review is one sided, and I like the guitarist personally because in his interview with Guitar World he seemed like a cool guy, sure they dress up like clowns but I would do the same to get all those girls, I mean scene girls are HOT, I can't name one girl from my school that doesn't like BVB, I'm a Junior in High School.
    stndrdprcdre
    GenerationKILL They play their instruments well and even Zakk Wylde approves enough to play with them.
    And do you also think that Aerosmith really wanted to perform with N'Sync in the Superbowl Halftime show years ago, too? It's marketing, advertising, hype, etc. that record companies use to gain interest. Does Zakk Wylde of all people really like BVB? Fuck no! He was approached by his label or management and was offered some sort of incentive to do it. There's a lot of string-pulling, diversionary tactics, and other stupid bullshit that goes on in the music industry. You can't take everything for face value, kid.
    GenerationKILL
    Never seen so much hatred for a band in my life. If you don't like them, dont go onto the UG review page and make wild statements about how bad they suck. They play their instruments well and even Zakk Wylde approves enough to play with them. Just because they're not what you're into, doesn't mean they don't have talent or ambition. For what its worth, great bands also started out with teenage fans that grew with them. Ask Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and even Metallica. This band is young, they have the talent to flourish into something unique and great someday, so cut them some slack. you a**holes. I'm also not a fan of these guys either, nor am I am 15 year old girl. I just can respect something with talent and ambition when I see it.
    JoryL
    Black Veil Brides reminds me of that one time Beavis and Butthead tried playing guitar, and Beavis ended up breaking all the strings and destroying the guitar in a matter of seconds..
    Ladmia
    Weedbone wrote: Ladmia wrote: Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Dee Snyder, and Sebastian Bach have all come out in support of Black Veil Brides. You can have your own opinion, and I can have mine. However, you may want to check who the big name guys are into before you throw their names in it. Check out Alice Cooper's acceptance of the Kerrang Icon Award:
    Also, what's wrong with a person realizing there is something missing in the music scene now, and capitalizing on it? If a band isn't out to become known worldwide, then what are they doing? Everyone has their own opinion about music, and that's what makes each genre unique. Best comment here by far. To all of you who are saying that they sound just like other bands, have you even listened through Set The World On Fire, their 2nd album? There's thrash, metalcore, glam, and even some pop rock elements in the songs. Almost all the bands/artists that make it, seems to have something in common. They listen to different musical genres instead of labeling everything as "crap" or "shit". There's a reason they are where they are, instead of roaming the internet writing ironic comments about how various artist suck. When ****ing Alice Cooper aknowledges Black Veil Brides, you should ****ing trust him!
    Thank you .
    iammclovin
    I was at Warped Tour and tried to give these guys a shot but I couldn't take them seriously at all. Really not that great and they're over the top in the make-up department.
    disembodied
    how did this end up on the main page? its a cheap fanboy review. lol this band is just awful.
    ThrashMetal014
    Maybe this is a fanboy review. But honestly, how many of you can do a guitar solo better or faster than Jinxx and Jake Pitts? Quit bitching about the f***ing image and give them credit for the musicians they are. Sure, their singer isn't the best but neither are half the bands you consider "legendary" and he's sold millions. They're different, and you're only hating because they're more popular than you are.
    ImagineTheThorn
    I'm not really a fan of these guys, but for all the people bitching about what they look like, who cares? Remember, Alice Cooper used to look worse when he was wearing sparkly dresses in The Alice Cooper Band. Yes, image will get you some attention. But in the end, what a band looks like has no impact on what they sound like.
    Redd_dymond
    Ibeanez wrote: I don't think I can dumb myself down enough, sorry.
    Then I pity you. I bet you own a seven string guitar.
    rob904
    D3DandG0N3 wrote: at least its not asking alexandria...yah thats exactly what i want 3 albums of ****ing breakdowns with techno beats...*places barrel of shotgun in mouth
    and auto-tune, don't forget the auto-tune
    danage
    the reason why no one can understand why alice cooper, A7x, Sebastian batch ect support BVB is because you aren't giving them a chance. If they like it, maybe they are seeing something your bias isn't letting you. I dont expect you to give them a chance, but until you've actually heard the EP thats being reviewed, **** off commenting Personally i was surprised by this band, because my friend made me listen to them, without telling me who they where or how they looked and i enjoyed it.. that was a year and a half ago... the drummer and guitarists are good and actually play well live. I also find it funny how people claim to experts on a band they hate, and will make fun of the 'fan girl' fans whilst religiously +/-1ing peoples comments about BVB. So yhea live and let live, and have a good life
    notsominidude
    Avenged Sevenfold, there's one. And with a comment like that your in no position to say things about fan girls making them look bad.
    notaspy2009
    BVB is not groundbreaking. They just make real metalheads(like me) look bad because everyone is like oooh you listen to metal? Your an emo!
    Redd_dymond
    Ibeanez wrote: Redd_dymond wrote: Ibeanez wrote: I don't think I can dumb myself down enough, sorry. Then I pity you. I bet you own a seven string guitar. Wow, A.D.D. a little?
    I guess that went right over your head. Ah well.
    nightrunner_ks
    You know what's funny? Every person who seems to be dissented with Black Veil Brides gives some stupid BS reason why they hate them. All I see is "they suck cock, they're turds, they're mainstream." Well, if you could actually look past the image (which isn't mainstream. If it was mainstream, they would be on MTV every day) you would see five talented guys who just want to put on a show. Who gives a **** if Jake can't solo as well as Steve Vai or *insert guitar virtuoso here*? His solos sound great and at the end of the day, that's what puts money in the bank. Oh yeah, and remember this, you're sitting at your computer hating on this band, they're sitting on a tour bus seeing the world and playing music for money.
    pakmunch
    The reviewer is obviously a teenage fan girl. This band is a joke. They're not bringing metal back. Their music reminds me nothing of the stuff that came out of the 80s, yet they claim to be brining metal back. What's even more deplorable is the fact that Steel Panther (a comedy band, and 20 years older than these guys) are doing a much better job of it. I hope they realize how stupid they're going to feel when they grow out of their phase.
    Winner Z
    Black Veil Brides is a terrible band. Their just a bunch of cocky guys trying to get rich quick and are alternative music's equivalent of Justin Bieber, meaning their entire act is to get teenage girls to think their all sexy and pay money to see and get their stuff. Their basically trying to do a commercial reboot of 80's glam metal(which was terrible in the first place, but thats my opinion) and to the person saying that all Led Zeppelin Black Sabbath and Metallica started out with tennage fans,they started out at small clubs and those are the people that turned up. Black Veil Brides didn't just happen to appeal to teenagers, they aggressively market their music to them. How many 40 year olds do you see at their concerts? 10. and thats because they were dragged there by their 12 year old daughter wearing 20 pounds of makeup
    BloodInYourEyes
    Ibeanez
    Redd_dymond wrote: mr7string wrote: 'No one will ever sound like him or black veil brides' Ooh yeah, 'cept the hundreds of 80 glam metal/ metalcore bands that have been doing exactly the same thing for years. Don't you dare lump 80s glam metal and metalcore together. Metalcore is shite, and from what i've heard from Black Veil Brides, they are also shite.
    Even metalcore is 100 times better than 80's glam.
    Strauser360
    BVB are nowhere near A7x's league. I dont know why a7x supports these clowns...or hollywood undead or asking alexandria. seriously I really gave them a chance and tried listening to their album (first one) but I was sorely dissapointed. plus the...singer? looks ridiculous. he has like tatoos that like magic marker and just looks like a drug addict. but hey thats my opinion, I cant really see this EP sounding miles ahead but I'll check it out.
    millies19
    All the haters on here only whine cause their girls would rather suck Andy's C*** over their own.
    Weedbone
    skootla
    Eh I don't mind these guys, the look and what they say in interviews shits me but the songs are catchy. At the same time in 10 years I wouldn't be saying they were a band that stood out.
    whywefight
    stereotypes are around for a reason. 4/5s of their fans I've met have been under 14 and/ or girls. The more musically talented friends I have can't stand them. End of story
    Engel22
    BVB's on just about every other channel on the hur in the UK, and most people's criticisms are well-founded. Some small minority might hate on the band without really thinking why, but anyone else can think of at least three reasons why BVB are so damn awful.
    Ibeanez
    Redd_dymond wrote: Ibeanez wrote: Even metalcore is 100 times better than 80's glam. F*** you. I challenge you to a rock off.
    I don't think I can dumb myself down enough, sorry.