Rebels review by Black Veil Brides

• Released: Dec 12, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Black Veil Brides: Rebels

This EP is the 3rd release by the band and opens with an ambient piano sound before opening into what fans will be used to. Andy Biersack has a below par voice and, when clean singing, can be very monotonous. When attempting screamed vocals he isn't much more successful they are poorly executed and also don't fit into the song. The piano work was a nice surprise at the start and as per the guitar work in the EP was above average. The guitar solo's fit in with the songs and show talent among the guitarists in regards to melody. As per with this band the musical side of things are better than most you'd hear in mainstream rock music.

This album features 2 covers, of "Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol and "Unholy" - Kiss featuring Zakk Wylde, lyrically those songs are in their own regard and I don't believe should be taken into consideration in this category. However the original track, "Coffin," I feel was lyrically was repetitive and not the bands best work. It was filled with Christian imagery, not slandering religion, but I felt this was not much of an evolution from the previous record that I expected as they progressed and became more mature. Also the lyrics in the breakdown was hard to hear due to the poor quality of his screamed vocals.

Compared to other artists by Black Veil Brides I felt let down by this it didn't seem much of an evolution more of a way to get songs cut from the record out there I expected more of a fresh sound rather than a carbon copy. Unholy was an impressive song compared to the others Zakk Wylde does add to the track although it's minimal. The other covers sounded bland and trying too hard. I don't dislike this album but if I lost it I don't think it's worth the money to buy it again. Overall this was a poor installment in their discography compared to their other records.