Set The World On Fire review by Black Veil Brides

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
Black Veil Brides: Set The World On Fire

Black Veil Brides return with their sophomore album "Set The World On Fire" less than a year after their debut, "We Stitch These Wounds" was released. They have replaced their previous drummer, Sandra Alvarenga, with Christian Coma. The rest of the lineup remains the same with Andy Biersack (vocals), Jinxx (guitar), Jake Pitts (guitar), and Ashley Purdy (bass). The album was released on July 14, 2011 on Lava Records, making it their major label debut. For this album, the listener must not judge the band or album based on their image or their debut album. They are no longer an emo band, but that's not to say it isn't still aimed at the mainstream rock crowd. There is much less screaming (only on four songs is there any at all). The production is, in my opinion at least, significantly better than "We Stitch These Wounds". The drums are much more prominent and fast. Jinxx and Jake put several guitar solos in (all shredding solos, by the way) to where they can be almost uncomfortable (i.e. "Ritual"). But it's up to the listener to decide if continuous shredding is a positive or negative.

Andy's vocals haven't changed much, but in songs like "Fallen Angels", you can tell he's going for a bit rougher style, comparable to a sleaze rock band. Like I mentioned before, the screams are used sparingly. If you're more fond of their debut, that will probably be a disappointment. If not, that may be a relief, because when he does scream, it can be kind of painful (not in an emotional/good way). Unfortunately, his vocal range isn't particularly impressive. It also may sound a bit nasal at times, but don't blow it out of proportion to "Knives And Pens" nasal. Andy's voice continues to drop with his excessive smoking habit, which is probably a good thing for the direction the band is heading. There's no vocalist I could compare him to off the top of my head. There is a lot, and I mean a lot of gang vocals throughout the album. When I listen, I don't really notice it. But if that's going to annoy you, watch out! The lyrics are probably as good as you'd expect them to be. Not awful, but definitely not out of a genius mind. In "Savior", the (thankfully) only ballad, he goes with the "I'll always be there for you" theme. On the other songs, the themes are quite positive compared to their earlier work. The songs "Ritual", "Set The World On Fire", and "Fallen Angels" are good examples.

I wouldn't go compare this to an '80s glam metal band. The image is similar, but the sound is far from glam metal. At the same time, it's certainly not post-hardcore or emo anymore. So where does this fit, then? Well, to be honest, it reminds me of Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare" album - most notably the guitar work and the overall song structure. I was very happy with every song from the album, but my favorites are "God Bless You" (the opening riff got me), "Rebel Love Song", the sing-along chorused "Die For You", and the happy "Ritual". As a fan of almost all rock genres, I enjoyed this album a lot, even though it leans towards the generic side. A more picky listener will probably feel differently. All I suggest to the listener is to have no prior judgements and let the music speak for itself.