Set The World On Fire review by Black Veil Brides

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Black Veil Brides: Set The World On Fire

Black Veil Brides went for a more rock oriented style for this record whereby they've abandoned they're hardcore style from the "We Stitch These Wounds" album; it appears as though they've slightly toned down with this new album. Despite not being as riff laden as their earlier works, singles such as "Set The World On Fire" still stand out, as wells as "New Religion" due to the messages that they convey to the listener as well as the ever admirable shredding abilities of Pitts in the "New Religion" solo as well as in "God Bless You", not to mention the refreshing licks that Jinxx throws in though-out the songs aiding to the overall classic rock 'n' roll feel of the album. The drumming abilities of Coma is perhaps the most brilliant thing in this album as he does not hold back, songs such as "New Religion" are a testament to this. Their incorporation of a double-kick drum into their music is also quite innovative and refreshing. In terms of their overall sound, I could definitely say that they have indeed grown as artistes as Biersack has refined his vocal abilities and his singing is now much more prominent and defined. However, I must add that his screaming will be missed as it is one of the little things that defines Black Veil Brides as a new This album is perhaps, for lack of a better word, "simpler" than what we've heard from them before and it seems as though they're holding back in terms of their musical prowess. However, the fact is that Black Veil Brides have manged to maintain a very rock 'n' roll sound and stay true to the genre in an era where everyone seems to be going towards a more digital and electronic direction.

The lyrics that e as fans have come to expect from Black Veil Brides seem to disappear in this album as Biersack appears to take a step away from incorporating his personal lifestyle in the lyrics of the songs; I suppose this does indeed show that they are growing as musicians as they draw their lyrical themes from a different source for this particular album. The mot stand-out song in terms of lyrics would perhaps be "New Religion" as it impresses on breaking away from societies norms an brings out the Black Veil Brides that fans have come to adore. Again, Biersack steps away from his former screamo style vocals and shifts towards a more refined melodic style which does indeed mesh into the lyrical themes quite well.

Compared to "We Stitch These Wounds", this album does not really bring out the "we are outcasts" feeling that Black Veil Brides stands for, it's hardly as rebellious as the earlier record. The most impressive songs would be "New Religion" due to it's lyrical message and brilliant drumming as well as "Set The World On Fire" as there is something amiable about it's simplistic style. The songs in general lack emotion as compared to the earlier record and relating to them is not exactly a possibility for the listener. But as I've mentioned before, I love it's simplicity as it shows that they have indeed grown as musicians. Would I buy this album again if my copy got lost/stolen? Yes, I would; as much as it's not a brilliant album, it's good and I do enjoy a number of tracks. I'm actually looking forward to the next BVB record, just to see what they can come up with. With that said, I ope my inbox doesn't get ambushed by scores of unhappy teenage girls :) Though I'd love to know what other BVB fans think of it...

LordEarthworm
    they look amazing.
    The lyrics are amazing.
    ...so basically, Blood Avenger's review is completely idiotic.
    mattkendell
    LordEarthworm wrote: they look amazing. Andy's Vocals are amazing from his epic screams to his amazing singing in general. The lyrics are amazing. The lyrics are sung amazingly. The screams are amazing and in general the vocals are very melodic. ...so basically, Blood Avenger's review is completely idiotic.
    I thought Blood Avenger's review was...amazing.
    $hithappen$16
    when i first heard knives and pens a while ago i figured "hm...catchy. they might be pretty good" then i listened to their whole album and i thought "boring,repetative,these guys have a long way to go." i figured they'd improve with their next album. listened to some stuff off of that and still was not impressed. for some reason i keep wanting to like these guys but i feel like they really need to mature as a band if they want to continue with their success because eventually their fans are going to grow up and realize how generic they are and BVB will just be a phase
    FearOfTheDuck
    Such a generic sounding band! When i first saw them on covers of magazines and getting loads of publicity i thought i'd give them a listen.... bad idea
    EpiExplorer
    Amuro Jay
    xW4NT3DxSn1p3r wrote: I like to scare kids that listen to this by showing them Cannibal Corpse
    I sincerely hope you're trolling. Scaring kids who listen to one crappy band by showing them another crappy band? Well I'll be darned.
    mlukeroberts222
    These guys do have an A7X feel to them, but being a fan of neither, I prefer A7X over these guys. Saw were they were awarded as one of the top up-and-coming metal bands....that's a joke. The drummer is very solid though. Let the ripping begin.
    Pad Mast3rs
    i dont really like their music but their songs are really fun to play (heavens calling or love isnt always fair) after the opening riff in god bless you, i mean when the harmonised melody comes in, isnt that the same melody like in nightmare by avenged sevenfold after the solo?
    Pete-V
    to be honest there is too much Avenged sevenfold over them... well i love A7x but they should get their own sound... and Andy is a way overrated... his vocals is alright but nothing to shout hurray of... and his screams sucks... the need to record them 2 times and overlap them to make it sound of anything...
    Loki_37
    @ the word Amazing. Wow guys. Just lol. I'll give you this, though, they do get people talking.
    ninjagayden777
    EpiExplorer wrote: Ghey. And atrocious music. I'm pretty sure 80's glam metal meets 2000's kiddiecore is one of the worst musical ideas to ever be put into practice.
    Hence, Escape The Fate. But yea, this band is ****ing dildos. Uninspired trend music at best.
    Mark Roxx
    Hey, I like Cannibal Corpse AND this band
    Dillingerfold
    When listening to Knives and Pens I decided that this was a flash-in-the-pan generic bandwagon-band for little scene kids. However not one to be blinded by bias, I gave them a chance and listened to the new album preview on youtube. I could only tell when songs changed thanks to the little captions the uploader kindly inserted in the video, it all sounded pretty much the same. Annoying vocal tone, uninspiring guitar lines and cheesy been-done-before lyrics. Safe to say they have lost their chance. Fade away now please guys....or just keep getting your singer to fall off stuff during your set so I/we can trololol at him.
    Ibeanez
    I wish we could have a moratorium on the word "amazing" for about a decade.