Set The World On Fire review by Black Veil Brides

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Black Veil Brides: Set The World On Fire

I was first introduced to the Black Veil Brides by a friend of mine, who was really into their old stuff (ie - "The Gunsling", which to this day remains one of my favorite songs) and I myself enjoyed their music. That being said, I enjoy pretty much everything with some exceptions (Justin Beiber comes to mind... LOL) Compared to their demos and their debut "We Stitch These Wounds", this sound is somewhat the same and somewhat different at the same time. Musically, the band's overall sound hasn't changed much - guitars tuned to drop-C# with lots of distortion and some nice harmonies, heavy drums (many props to Christian "CC" Coma for his drumming. It's very solid and helps keep the band glued together) and a nice bedrock of bass. Andy "Six" Biersack seems to be screaming less and THAT is where the chance kicks in. He's going for a more melodic style of vocals this time around, and I personally approve. I am not a big fan of his screams when you compare them to other screamers in the same genre. One interesting thing to note though - I read in a Guitar World interview with Jinxx (rhythm guitar) and Jake Pitts (lead guitar) that a lot of their breakdowns and harmonies are influenced by Bach's "Inventions". I myself have listened to a few and noticed a lot of similiarities. Check it out and let me know if you hear the same. They sound like a lot of other bands out there, but their image gives them a bit of a boost in the looks department.

Andy's lyrics have shifted focus from "We are outcasts and we're damn proud of going against the grain!" to "You're not alone now - don't give in, keep pushing through!" While both have their merits and demerits, I don't have a preference. All in all, I find Andy's lyrics to be a bit weak at times, but he does have some good imagery on tap now and again (good example is the lead single "Fallen Angels" - "We are the in-between, cast down as sons of war / Struck to the earth like lightning, on this world we're torn"). There were some really corny moments in there as well. One such line was from "The Legacy" - "We came from nothing but promised one thing / We'll change the world with these guitars". I HIGHLY doubt two guitarists are going to change the world of hard rock/metal music, even two who have some considerable skill. Their sound is nothing new to the world of music. Overall, I give them the lyrics a 6 - there were some solid one and some really stupid ones, at least in my opinion.

Overall, "Set The World On Fire" wasn't a bad listen. I will freely admit that I torrented the album because I didn't want to waste money on it if it sucked. I wasn't fully blown away by the album but I wasn't totally disappointed either. For me, the standout tracks were "Fallen Angels" for its nice harmonies and Andy's lyrics (best lyrics on the album in my opinion - nice story told with that one), "The Legacy" for its overall instrumentation (had a VERY tasty drum intro) and album closer "Youth And Whiskey" just for it being a solid closer to the album. I would say I love all the harmonies on the CD. I'm a big fan of classical music so I love hearing the classical element in the Brides sound. The only thing I really hated was Andy's lyrics - at times, they took away from the songs. Considering I didn't buy the album, I wouldn't spend money on it again. That being said, if my computer got wiped or something, I would definately redownload it. Overall, the album was very well done - I look forward to see where the band goes from here.

moose1512
    the intro riff to knives and pens,is dangerously similar to unholy confessions - A7X. They dont hide the fact they are influenced by them, but stealing riffs....same as other views on here, its just too repetitive. Oh and those *insert explicit* calling, kiddicore, and emo. Your as bad as RnB fans who hate on rock music.
    headbang123
    Yeah the ciggarettes are taking their toll on Andy's voice. He's gonna start sounding like Patty and Selma from the Simpsons if he's not careful.
    raittarian
    Post-A7X. Avenged is way better. Anyways don't get me wrong, these guys are fine.
    mulletman619
    mattkendell wrote: LordEarthworm wrote: they look amazing. Andy's Vocals are amazing from his epic screams to his amazing singing in general. The lyrics are amazing. The lyrics are sung amazingly. The screams are amazing and in general the vocals are very melodic. ...so basically, Blood Avenger's review is completely idiotic. I thought Blood Avenger's review was...amazing.
    that made me happy =)
    agentofchaos
    in my opinion, a lot of the tracks are catchy, but only catchy because we've heard it before. i can listen to the cd all the way through and say i enjoyed it, but the vocals are the same and not great, and the guitar solos seemed forced almost, like they dont fit. the drums really are what brings it together..