Blackfield review by Blackfield

• Released: Feb 22, 2005
Blackfield: Blackfield

Blackfield started off as a collaboration between Porcupine Tree maestro Steven Wilson, and controversial Israeli singer/songwriter Aviv Geffen. Together they created a dark introverted and, for the most part, mellow album. I wouldn't expect anything but top notch musicianship from Wilson, but I was curious to see what Geffen could bring to the table. He doesn't dissapoint at all. His voice fits the music perfectly. The actual "sound" of the album is kind of hard to describe, but I'll put it like this, think of an artsy, dark, and more talented version of Oasis, and you have a slight idea of how it sounds. Wilson does a great job of steering clear from his bombastic prog/metal tendencies of Porcupine Tree, and turns it down to a very low key, creating a fragile mostly accoustic masterpiece. The songs on the album don't even excede the 5 minute mark, but they don't dissapoint at all.

The lyrics on Blackfield are just like the music, meloncholly and dreary. Every song is extremely sensitive, with themes like being used, broken relationships, and the absence of confidence. It's ultimately an inside look at the softer side of these two men. Thir voices are great on their own, but when in harmony, its nothing short of beautiful.

Of all of Steven Wilsons work that I've heard, this album seems to be one of the most consistent, and affectionate. Some standout tracks include the fantastic opener "Open Mind", the hit single "Blackfield", the haunting beauty of "Glow", and the ultimate ballad "Hello". I absolutely love this style of music. Mellow with some explosive moments of rock. It's an album you can can go to sleep to, or rock out to. Blackfield are a perfect example of a band who can still write pop songs, yet not sell out.

FVD
    I love Glow. I got a fright when Geffen sung immediately after Wilson's last line in the song. How the song picked up from there on was really beautiful. Love Wilson's solo too.