CexCells review by Blaqk Audio

• Released: Aug 14, 2007
Blaqk Audio: CexCells

Because it was the side project of Jade Puget and Davey Havok of A.F.I., fans expected Blaqk Audio and A Fire Inside to be similar. While sharing a few characteristics (i.e. Davey Havok's soaring vocals), on the whole it differs greatly. Whereas A.F.I. has a more edgy, hardcore rock sound, Blaqk Audio is techno fury. Nevertheless, Cex Cells still retains that dark synthesized sound which Havok and Puget first unleashed on the world in A.F.I.'s Decemberunderground, then unleashed in Blaqk Audio. The album has a danceable feel to it, balanced out with some slow tracks, perhaps too many. It also yields a pleasant surprise at the end with a cover of Blur's "Boys And Girls" (on the ltd. edition CD).

All of the songs are about a love relationship, though at times it is unclear whether Havok is talking about a gay relationship or a straight one or possibly both. While most of the songs are about sex, a few show an insight into a deeper attatchment, like "Semiotic Love" and "The Love Letter". The extraordinary imagery sets a beautiful tone for the album. At times the lyrics do not fit completely with the music, but overall, the CD has some very sexy beats, and the lyrics emulate that. Havok's unique vocals add to to the "cexyness", although they can be a bit nasal at times, as with his other albums.

This reviewer cannot think of another album to compare this to, but then again, I have not heard many techno albums before. Some highlights are "Snuff On Digital", "On A Friday", "Again, Again ang Again", and "Black Electric" (ltd. edition). I especially loved the poetic imagery in the lyrics, although I think they should have put more fast songs (after all, this an electronica/dance album). If my copy of the album were stolen/lost, of course I would buy it again, because if not, I would always grieve over my darling Blaqk Audio.

Fuel Collector
    Surprisingly good. Never been a big fan of AFI, only really like "Love Like Winter" but Blaqk Audio isn't half bad. "The Love Letter" is an amazing track.