Bleeding Through review by Bleeding Through

• Released: Apr 13, 2010
Bleeding Through: Bleeding Through

Over the last eleven years, and six studio albums, Bleeding Through have progressed steadily upward in their music career. From Dust To Ashes in 2001, right up to the recent self-titled on April 13th 2010, their overall sound has changed across their releases but they stuck true to their original metalcore vibe each time. This latest release came with less hype than previous efforts, however that's not to say its a disappointment. At all. I, as a consumer, always stream a record before buying and I came across this without actually realising it had been released yet. Beginning with the track 'A Ressurection', which is the bands second attempt at an instrumental opening track, after 'Finnis Fatalis Spei' off 'Declaration', and I have to say I much prefer this track overall as it includes drumming behind the orchestration, and no 300 soundbite at the end. Track 2, 'Anti-Hero' begins in predictable, explosive metalcore style and continues through to the end, and makes way for 'Your Abandonment'. This seems to me, although a very touchy subject among metallers, one of the heavier tracks on the album and will take some getting used to if you are new to the band or genre. The next track, 'Fifteen Minutes' is another fast-paced song, that follows in the signature sound of the band, and ends with a crushing breakdown akin to their earlier records. 'Salvation Never Found' is the first track to heavily feature clean vocals, which are executed beautifully among the more melodic sound of this track. However its back to heavy with 'Breathing In Wrath' which is exactly as the name suggests; heavy and angry, almost bodering on the melo-death sound of bands such as Arch Enemy and In Flames with some synth layered over. The skills of Marta Peterson on the keyboards and synth really stand out in the mix of 'This Time Nothing Is Sacred', although you have to listen for it as it is unfortunately low in the mix, as it usually is, which I think is a great disappointment. Either way though, there is no denying the overall brilliance of 'Divide The Armies', one of my two personal favourites on the CD. More heavy synth usage here, along with simple, in your face riffs that compliment the screams perfectly. This song features two solos within the structure, and is definately a must listen. The thundering drum introduction to 'Drag Me to the Ocean' promises great things, however the song as a whole, I feel, is lacking in terms of what the other tracks have to offer. It's not bad by any means, but the weakest on the album in my opinion. 'Light My Eyes', being my other favourite thus far, opens with a much mellower atmosphere in comparison with other tracks, a quiet repeated guitar line under echoed vocals, swiftly cut off by the introduction to a song much more recognisable as Bleeding Through. Another must listen. The last two tracks, 'Slow Your Roll' and 'Distortion, Devotion' respectively, bow out the album in great form, not feeling as if they were just stuck on the end to fill a gap as I have felt with numerous albums by bands in similar genres. 'Slow Your Roll' really captures an air of aggression, and again borders the melo death sound, with several catchy synth hooks in parts. The finale of the CD, 'Distortion, Devotion' definately has that "last song on an album" feel to it, complete with a mellow opening, string section, haunting clean vocal melodies and a closure of a simple sustained chord descending to feedback, which I think could have been drawn out slightly longer to capture the feeling of an end, as it really does leave you expecting one more song to come in. Overall, the band's sound has progressed well over their career and not succumbed to label pressures or high street influences, moving exactly where they want to with each album. This self titled, I feel, captures a true sound of the band, and works brilliantly well. Sure not to disappoint fans or newcomers alike.

Now, I have only owned this CD for a little under a day, and haven't had a great deal of time to read over the lyrics while listening to the songs. As with much music that features heavy usage of screaming vocals, it can be difficult to understand the vocalist off-hand unless they have amazingly good enunciation. However, within this genre, the delivery of the vocals is just as important, if not slightly more, in the overall effect of the piece. Brandon Schieppati is, to my mind, a well experienced and greatly proficient vocalist in both screams and clean singing, along with lyricist. The lyrics don't differ greatly in general themes, from album to album, they mostly seem to be dark romantic (or anti-romantic?), fuelled by a anger that rings clear throughout his songs. I wouldn't say there are any parts of stand-out genius in his writings, but whatever Brandon does; he makes it work. In the song 'Fifteen Minutes', the breakdown is signaled with a scream of "I'll fucking ruin your life", which really sets a mood for the rest of the album. Across the board, there is a very nihilstic, almost apocalyptic, message to who or whatever the song is about. The song 'Light My Eyes' features a short amount of lyrics; only about 5 lines worth, however they are executed brilliantly, and differently each time they are sung through. Nothing to break any trends here, although I am very impressed with Brandon's vocal abilities and wouldn't wish him to change just for the sake of finding something new to write about.

If you were to paint Bleeding Through into a very general corner, you would refer to them as metalcore. However, I am one of those people who really does hate the state we've got ourselves into with the amount of subgenres in every genre of music. It seems like pointless labelling for the sake of causing arguments. The band definately draws influence from the 'core' sound, hardcore metal and punk infusions; clean vocals mixed with screams and growls. However, they have always struck me as being influenced by some death metal sounds (don't get onto my back about this, I said influenced - I didn't say they played it) and the more symphonic sound of the melo death realms. But, I digress. As compared to other bands within this 'metalcore' genre they definately stand out to me as a band who does not conform to standards and plays what the hell they want to play. I own each of their albums to date, and would definately replace this one if it were stolen or broken, which is likely as I am terrible with keeping CDs in good nick; I almost cried when I broke my copy of The Blackening luckily I got the special edition for a present, and numerous other ones have suffered similar fates. Overall, I tend to buy most of my music off iTunes, or directly from the artists websites to save this trouble....however, again, I digress and will hasten to recommend this album to anyone who is a fan and has not yet heard ir, or someone who is looking for something new in this area of music. This is my first review, so I apologise if it lacks, or overstates anything, but I hope it will help some of you if only at a skim read, to decide on this CD.

ianaimo
    WARLOCK123 wrote: Loving this album. Only reason it hasn't got much press attention is because they split from Trustkill. Gone down in terms on chart position too but so did Declaration after The Truth which was more accessable to the masses.
    They left trustkill because trustkill screwed them over. Rise has a lot of bands that are somewhat big in metalcore nowadays. Who does trustkill have anymore that is somewhat big? None. In fact, trustkill doesn't even exist anymore. Though I can't say that rise records have many bands that sound like bleeding through, I am sure that bleeding through had quite a few choices for what label they could go to. If they chose Rise, I am sure it was for good reasons! =)
    WARLOCK123
    EpiExplorer
    A Ghost Reverie wrote: I dont really feel black metal elements in it. blast beats,keys=/=black metal.
    ...Nooo, it doesnt. I see no hide nor hair of corpespaint, high tunings, or anti melody. Tis not blackened.
    metalcoremax87
    its definately more black metal now... i have mixed feelings about this album... good band overall
    Deplorable
    Fucking hell, a few crappy keyboard parts does NOT make something "blackened".
    6sic6_blank
    Declaration is my fav record by these guys, but this one kicks hardcore ass. I'm addicted to Salvation Never Found and Light My Eyes.
    DrButterfunk
    Honestly, I think Bleeding Through is quite over-rated. They've released the exact same album 3 times now.
    j_link13 wrote: adj209 wrote: Love this band, they are incredible live really? when i saw them open for bfmv they sounded like ass
    I'm with J_link, they were not that impressive when I saw them with BFMV.
    adj209
    Well its BMFV, they probably didn't put any effort in :p. On a serious note though I've seen them live at least 4 times and on every occasion their performance live has ALWAYS been better than studio.
    fr33t0m
    Following kiddy trends and "writing" crap songs. Art and metal should never be used to describe this mess.
    j_link13
    adj209 wrote: Love this band, they are incredible live
    really? when i saw them open for bfmv they sounded like ass
    EpiExplorer
    adj209 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Gaaah, my theory about blackcore is coming true! Expect some part of America to go apeshit at copying it. That said, its as wierd as hell.. Its slowly getting to me, but the vocals could do with a bit more beefing up. They're a little A7X. Thing that really puts me off is how cliche it all is. Song titles are cheesy, the band name is pretty generic sounding as well.. but who knows, I'll just have to listen to it more. I will probably get flamed to shit for this but oh well; I think calling this band cliched is a bit misleading considering they have been at the forefront of melodic metalcore for quite a while. Its almost like saying Linkin Park are the most cliched Nu-metal band, when in fact this is because they have been at the forefront of the movement of New metal.
    I never really meant the band directly for its music, but just this 'metalcore' image. Every metalcore band has a very similar sort of thing with the name containing a different version of 'blood' and 'love' and 'omg, we're so deep'.
    adj209
    Lohnanmilitia
    So glad he's not the one singing. Voice was prettty bad. But yeah, this new album is pretty ****ing killer. His screams used to annoy me as well, but whatever changed is for the better. Great album.
    Grave Robber
    Not many bands these days get heavier but Bleeding Through just keep getting heavier! Love the new album.
    ianaimo
    As far as bleeding through sounding like black metal, they do have some parts about them that are similar to black metal. I would agree that they wouldn't be fully considered black metal but blackmetalcore lol if that even is a genre. I don't know. Bleeding Through just sounds like bleeding through really. I don't know of any other band that sounds exactly like them.