Declaration Review

Bleeding Through: Declaration
Released: Sep 30, 2008
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Trustkill, Roadrunner Records
Declaration is the fifth album by American metalcore band Bleeding Through. The album features eight string guitars. The song's titles are named after different states and cities.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.7
 8.4
Declaration Reviewed by: xunholyknightx, on december 23, 2008

Sound: Bleeding Through has put out three albums previous to this one and they have all been very well done and have received very good ratings. However, I feel that this album surpasses all three previous albums. It still features the trademark down tuned riffs that Bleeding Through is famous for, but they seem to take it to an even heavier level on this album without losing the beautiful melodies that come with the keyboards. The drumming is really tight on this record and flows with the guitars and bass perfectly. The keyboards, to me, seem more prevalent than in their past records and in the song "Sister Charlatan" there is a very refreshing keyboard solo over a very heavy guitar riff that just fits perfectly. The vocals on this record have also seen an improvement. There is some of the highest pitches of screams done on this record that I have heard by Bleeding Through and some of the lowest as well. Also, the clean vocals are fantastic on this record with some of it sung by the bassist for the first time. Over all the record sounds amazing and the production level is fantastic. // 10

Lyrics: Bleeding Through have been known for having very graphical and emotional lyrics in the past that were very introverted, personal, and full of hatred and vengeance. Now on this album, the lyrics remain full of the hatred but they have touched and more than just the introverted self and emotional. They focus on more worldly things and outward emotions. Less of the songs are about heartbreak than in the past. I was a little upset by this because I thought that it was awesome that Bleeding Through had enough integrity to write about things so personal and emotional while keeping the music heavy on their past albums even though in much of the metal world, that is shunned upon. However, the lyrics are still well done and fit well with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: "Declaration" has been on my top list of albums ever since it has come out and every time I listen to it, I do not get bored. I love their contrast of melody and complete brutality with the clash of the keyboards and the guitars. If you are a fan of As I Lay Dying, Lamb Of God, All That Remains, Throwdown, Bullet For My Valentine, or even Avenged Sevenfold (old stuff), this album would be for you. My favourite songs are "Orange County Black And Blue," and "Sister Charlatan." If this album were stolen or lost, I would buy this album again for sure, even if it cost more than when I first bought it. // 10

Declaration Reviewed by: Revenger#11, on january 27, 2009

Sound: This is Bleeding Through's 5th studio album. I had not heard much of them before I got this album but I think it is their strongest work yet. It is heavier than all the others put together. Brace yourself for Brutal Dropped B Breakdowns and Blast Beats. The Keyboards add atmosphere unlike I have heard before in a metal core band. There is only two songs I can recall with clean vocals( There Was A Flood, Sister Charlatan) and the rest are screamed so if you don't like screaming this might not be the CD for you. There are even some small guitar solos on this album which adds a new air to a few of the songs as the guitars intertwine with the keyboards. Fantastic Production by Devin Townsend. Even Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying helps out on the title track. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics by Brendan are mostly to do with revenge and people messing up his life. My favorite lyrics are in the song "Germany" which talk about the Berlin Wall. "There was a wall constructed inside of me ripping through my heart. And brick by brick I'll slave to tear it all down" The lyrics do fit in with the heavy nature of the music. Brendan has a nice clean voice too but does not use it much on this album. He is a talented vocalist. // 8

Overall Impression: I can sort of compare it to heavy metal core and death core bands but the keyboards add a new dimension to the sound. It becomes more epic. Some impressive songs are; Declaration. Orange County Blonde and Blue( Good Breakdown), Germany, Death Anxiety and Sister Charlatan. I like it because it is really heavy and well produced. Some good riff age, solos and drumming. Keyboards sound good. I don't like the variety as all the songs are the same formula and some riffs are recycled. No ballad here, this album never slows down. If it was stolen/lost I would buy it again because I know what to expect. Listen to Death Anxiety before you buy but if you like Bleeding Through you won't be disapointed // 8

Comments