Portrait Of The Goddess review by Bleeding Through

• Released: Apr 30, 2002
Bleeding Through: Portrait Of The Goddess

Portrait of the Goddess must be a very overlooked album. When you hear of Bleeding Through, the only albums that come up are "This is Love, This is Murderous" and "The Truth" However here is a CD that needs playing. Each song on this disc has it's own personality and sound. When starting out with "Rise" you hear some of the most forceful growls in the business. The next tune "Our Enemies" has to be the second best track on the record. The riff heard throughout is one of the most catchy and smooth licks I've heard in a long time. The ending solo is also precise and very melodic. True, this may be just "another metalcore/hardcore" but Bleeding Through uses so many different aspects in their songs that they break many molds that plague the industry. This is most evident in the song "Savior, Saint, Salvation" which is without a doubt THE best song on the entire album. Featuring M. Shadows from A7X, "Savior" crosses the entire spectrum. From melodic to groovy, quiet to hardcore, it has everything.

To me, these are some of the most personal lyrics I have heard. They may not be, but they sure as hell hold some meaning only the lyricist would know. This doesn't mean that they don't make sense though, some of the breakdowns and chorus' have an anthemic quality one wouldn't expect from a hardcore band. To be short, these are lyrics you must HEAR first. That is where the emotionality of them really shines.

One of the only major faults I could find with this album is some of the blastbeats. The drummer tries to hard too play too fast and some of them feel out of time. Other than that, this is truly an album you must hear. It sheds new light on the emotional side of metal. If it were stolen I would try to find another copy, but it was a pain in the ass to find the one I have now.

sleepwalker16
    They are a decent metalcore band, pulled back by the stupid lyrics... also, Martha is very hot first?
    Brian Gelvin
    I like how it says "This CD came out when hardcore/metalcore was starting to gain its popularity" cause in my opinion it was and still isn't that popular. I used to listen to them a lot along with other bands like them, I kinda grew out of them though.
    cloud041089
    Brian Gelvin wrote: I like how it says "This CD came out when hardcore/metalcore was starting to gain its popularity" cause in my opinion it was and still isn't that popular.
    i think its a lot more popular now compared to back then. late 90's and early 00's i didnt even know about the genre it was all about slipknot and korn but now numetal lost its hype and its all about as i lay dying and killswitch engage. just compare the numetal and hardcore forums.