His Last Walk Review

8.9
 8.8
 1,414
His Last Walk Reviewed by: Boxiii, on august 31, 2007

Sound: I was first introduced to this band by my cousin, and first off I wanna say I don't listen to much hardcore bands because the all sound the same. Bur when I heard these guys, it sounded unique and different from other bands. The vocalist has a soft singing voice but then a good solid scream; it's kind of hard to believe that he's the same guy that sings and screams. BlessTheFall is a Christian band, so of course there is no cursing on the album. The album itself has a religious feel to it, but it doesnt't overwhelm you with their beliefs. Overall, the sound is good with only a few minor flaws here and there. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are amazing, to say the least. Although you probably wont understand a lot of them, they have a deep meaning in most of the songs. For example, their song "Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad" is about a girl that got raped, and "Higinia" is about the vocalists grandma. Some people will think, wow that's kinda lame, but you just have to listen to it and the songs will stick to you. There is a few references to God in a couple of songs, but the only song that is focused on that aspect is the last song, "His Last Walk". // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is Blessthefalls first LP, and it is a great start, with the amazing lyrics to the good guitar riffs. The songs that stick out to me are the 2 singles, Higinia and Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad. Both of them have deep lyrical meaning and the riffs are just great. Besides those, my 2 favorite tracks are Black Rose Dying and Wait for Tomorrow. Both have the best guitar riffs IMO and just stand above the rest. Although I have said a lot of good things about the album, there are some bad. The guitar riffs in 1 or 2 songs sound kind of, off, compared to the rest of the album. If this album got stolen/lost, yes I would grab another copy because they're a great band, and great people (I met them at Warped Tour '07 San Diego). // 9

His Last Walk Reviewed by: atla18, on december 03, 2007

Sound: You know right off the bat when the CD starts that you're into some screaming, intense guitar, drums, and overall a load of noises that you probably won't expect from a Christian rock band. The tracks run through with screams, breakdowns, typical hardcore standard. The only track I really see that sticks out is "With Eyes Wide Shut". It really stands out, not for being better but just for being random. It seems mroe hip-hoppy than anything, very little to no guitar, and little to no screams. I tend to skip that song on my iPod myself. Overall, while not being entirely innovative, the bands sound is impressive and enjoable, especially for a first album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful, and somehow manage to only have a real impression of "godly" if you look into it. "Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad" is about rape and "Higinia" (probably the most mis-pronounced song on the album) is about singer Craig's grandmother. Overal, toher than perhaps the last song or two, there really isn't a very huge direct reference to god (though there are refeerences). Craig's vocals are powerful and impressive. He has a strong clean voice punctuated by the screams of himself and the bass player, who does the lower screams. The switching between them puts emphasis where there needs to be emphasis, breaks the cleans at the right time, etc. // 9

Overall Impression: The album is a work that, if you like bands like Escape The Fate, Drop Dead Gorgeous, From First To Last, The Used, or Underoath, you will most likely enjoy. You can see the work put into the album, especially on songs like "guys like you make us look bad", "pray" (pray being a much softer and more powerful song than the rest), and "black rose dying" (seen as a demo on their EP). The only real issue with the album is "with eyes wide shut", being the only song on the album I don't enjoy. If I had lost it, I wouldn't need to buy it again as it's on my coputer but if I didn't have that abckup I would definitely buy it again. I can't wait to see what they do next as a band. // 9

His Last Walk Reviewed by: kenziethomas13, on june 24, 2013

Sound: This was the first album that I'd heard by Blessthefall, and I was quite impressed. When you first hear the band you don't expect them to be Christian Hardcore, at least I didn't. The stereotype metal-core band usually doesn't fall under the category of "Christian" music, anyways but I thought that was cool. Every member of the band is a Roman Catholic, and that reflects in their lyrics for sure. The first song I heard by Blessthefall was "Higina," and I wasn't too pleased with it, plus I wasn't very into metal-core at the time, there was too much screaming then. Now that's one of my favorite songs to listen too, it's catchy. // 7

Lyrics: I really like Craig Mabbit's voice on this album, I think he sounds much better with Blessthefall, than with Escape The Fate, but either way he is very talented. Jared Warth's screaming is amazing as well and their voices together are great. All of the music and lyrics flow very well together, I think the song "Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad" is a good example of how they go well together. On this album there are a couple songs that have acoustic versions along with the original, and this band does great acoustic songs! I would love to go to an acoustic concert of theirs (and a regular), all of the members are very talented. // 7

Overall Impression: This album sort of reminds me of Escape The Fate's ([2004] Ronnie Radke) "Dying Is Your Latest Fashion" and Miss May I's "Monument" (2010). The most impressive songs on this album would have to be "Guys Like You Make Us Look Bad," "Higina," "Could Tell a Love," "Rise Up [Acousic]," and "Times Like These." What I love about this album is all of the guitar riffs, I think they are different from other metalcore artists, and they flow with the song. One thing I don't like though is the amount of screaming, there is quite a bit, but I wouldn't expect anything less of this genre, so I guess it's alright. If this album was stolen or lost, I think I would just get something else since I have it downloaded on my computer. I would probably get one of their newer albums. // 8

His Last Walk Reviewed by: mssrulez, on august 18, 2011

Sound: Whilst they have done nothing inventive or new, they stand out proudly amongst all the generic hardcore bands out there. The guitar work is nice and varied, the drums are brilliant (besides the snare - nasty sound) and the bassist does a pretty decent job. The songs are structured pretty well, with not a single bad song on the whole record in my opinion. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics aren't usually important to me, however, these are quite well written. Many fresh topics are covered and even non-christians may enjoy the words. When it comes to the vocals, all that is heard is pleasant. Craig has a beautiful voice, as opposed to a menacing scream. Jared also does some screams, an he also has some power to boast. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is worth the full price. There isn't much to dislike and as a bonus, the guys put on the best live show I've seen with had Craig (Beau is pretty bad live). If this album were stolen or lost, I' buy it again; it does stand as my favourite album. // 10

Comments