Battalions Of Fear review by Blind Guardian

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Blind Guardian: Battalions Of Fear

Just after they switched their name from Lucifer's Heritage to Blind Guardian they put out their first full lenght album, "Battalions Of Fear." To any average Blind Guardian fan they will notice that this album contains more of a raw, unfinished, and thrashy sound about the album that separates it from their others. With less of the choral work that they are well known for and more of the striaght head-banging power metal this album might be for some new to the power metal genre. Be fooled not, this is still the Blind Guardian everyone loves containing all the inferences to literature we've come to enjoy. Such as "The Majesty", "Gandalf's Rebirth", and "By The Gates Of Moria" all based off of Lord of the Rings.

Hansi Kursch provides a raw, unfiltered, and often unheard approach to his singing in 'Battalions' with minimal double tracking that he is so known for doing. The lyrics, of course, are none short of what you'd expect from Hansi, providing epic scenarios and wonderful rhymes thoughout the tracks. An awesome example of great lyric work is the song, 'Run For The night' which depicts terror at the hands of his king. With his splendid tenor tone, Hansi does none short of amazing.

Battalions Of Fear, like I've stated earlier, is a very raw look at Blind Guardian as a band. Nonetheless, it is still one of my favorite albums by them. With great instrumental works like, "Gandalf's Rebirth" and "By The Gates Of Moria" Andre and Marcus show off some of their technical prowess on the guitar. This thrashy power metal album is a must for a Blind Guardian fan with great tracks such as 'Run For The Night', 'Battalions Of fear', and 'The Trial By Archon' and I recommend it to all.

cleft11
    Sanctuary
    cleft11 wrote: yeah ive only heard one song by them, but theyre awesome. only thing is they sound extremely irish!!!
    That's weird... because they are German.
    Yngwie #1
    Hell Yeah! I love BG! I own all there albums But in my opinion Somewhere Far Beyond is there best, but Battalions of Fear is awesome and is slightly more thrashy than there other albums and the best song is " Run For The Night " althought It's better live because they usually play it faster. And if you have haven't seen 'em live you should.
    sexybeast101
    i just bought this album like 5 days ago,and its great!my favorite songs on it are gandalfs rebirth,and by the gates of moria.
    fritodip
    only one band can write kick ass songs about a book and that's Blind Guardian.