Imaginations Through The Looking Glass [DVD] review by Blind Guardian

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Blind Guardian: Imaginations Through The Looking Glass [DVD]

The sound is really good, and very well put together. I've never bothered buying all the DVD's I've desired, but this one was worth the money. It was like having an album with live tracks in the DVD player, because the quality of the sound and the way the music sounded on this live DVD compared to the studio versions of the songs was amazing. When bands make DVD's they usually make sure the sound is good, but the way this was all played is amazing. It really gave me the chills sitting there just listening to how the lead guitars and vocals were really clear and slightly changed since it was live. The addition of more wah, and more focus on the lead vocal with the backing vocals cut out, or nearly cut out, really changed it all into a very unique version of the Blind Guardian songs.

Content — 10
It is a live DVD from a concert done on the "A Night At The Opera" tour in 2002 and some stuff from 2003. It takes us through all of Blind Guardians albums but with focus on the newer ones. Imaginations from the other side, Valhalla, And then there was silence and Banish from sanctuary were some of the most enjoyable tracks. About 20 tracks, and a few bonus tracks taken from other concerts on the tour(Majesty, Into The Storm, Welcome To Dying and Lost In The Twilight Hall). A couple of interviews and a bunch of pictures. A few backstage scenes too. I haven't discovered any hidden stuff yet, so I don't really know if there is any. I am very satisfied with this DVD, it really shows how great Blind Guardian is live as well as in the studio.

Production Quality — 10
The quality is very good, the way the instruments are played compared to each other and set up against the sound from the crowd, there is no disturbance or any noise that makes it at any time unclear or anything, so it's all crystal clear. No new tricks really, but of course some live keyboards were added and they made a different effect live compared to studio.

Blind Guardian is not known for being the greatest live band, although nobody has ever complained, but studio is known as their real thing. But I think they're great live, and great in studio. I love the whole thing, it's simply brilliant. And definately buy it again if I lost it or someone stole it. It's worth the cash.