Imaginations Through The Looking Glass [DVD] review by Blind Guardian

• Released: Oct 5, 2004
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 10
Blind Guardian: Imaginations Through The Looking Glass [DVD]

In my opinion, this has to be one of the best sounding DVD's I ever heard. The guitar and bass sound is rich and the drums nearly beat you to death. Hansi sounds a little laid back on his vocals. It seemed like a combination of Iron Maiden, Scorpions, and Pantera. On "The Bard's Song," Hansi lets the audience sing the song too much. The band doesn't mess up at all. They have some minor ones then and there but no major screw-ups.

Content — 8
On the first Disc, after showing the "Virgin Records" and "EMI" logo, it goes straight to the concert. They have 2 different audio settings: NIFI and Dobly Surround 5.1. When you first put the DVD in, the sound is on NIFI. This is a pure live concert DVD, no gimmicks, no overdubbing, this is the real deal. They play none off the 'Battlalions Of Fear', 2 from 'Follow The Blind' (Banish from Sanctuary & Vahalla), 2 from 'Tales From the Twilight World' (Lord Of The Rings & The Last Candle), 2 from 'Somewhere Far Beyond' (The Bard's Song - In The Forest & Somewhere Far Beyond), all songs from 'Imaginations From The Other Side' (except "Born In A Mourning Hall"), 4 from 'Nightfall In The Middle Earth' (War of Wraith, Time Stands Still, Nightfall, & Mirror Mirror), and 2 from 'Night Of The Opera' (Punishment Divine & And Then There Was Silence). The stage is huge and has loads of pyrotechnics, very impressed that it didn't interfer with the sound. Audiences as far as the I-can-see and nice stage set-up. On the second disc, same intorduction but aster the "EMI" logo, it shows the BG logo with the title of the DVD on the bottom. This time, it comes up to a menu. The menu set-up is similar to the "Lord of the Rings" DVD set-up, I think. The first one is "The Making Of..." The members of BG tell you about how they made the festival possible and strange, interesting things that took place before, during, and after the festival. For some reason, they speak in German. Not to worry, they have English Subtitles. Next is the BG Interview. Same routine with the first one, they speak in German with English Substitles. They talk about touring, history, family, the band itself, health, and some about the BG Festival. Next, is Bonus Songs. This contains 4 live songs: Majesty, Into the Storm, Welcome to Dying, & Lost in the Twilight Hall. Unlike the first disc, the songs won't sound as good of quality, so you will have to turn up the volume a bit. Next is a Slideshow of the BG performance at the Festival. Last, Subtitles ( required if you don't know German).

Production Quality — 10
The live performance quality of the BG Festival was the best I've ever heard. No tricks but lots of pyrotechnics and clear picture cameras. It gives you the feeling you are there. The bonus songs, not very good of quality but that doesn't mean the rating should be lowered.

Unlike all the other music DVDs, I don't think any Music DVD could touch this. I love the crystal clear picture and sound. I hated that they spoke in German for the Interview and "The Making Of..." I hate that it isn't sold in my area (USA). If it was stolen, I would be ticked. I wouldn't beat somebody up for trying to steal it. I would definitly buy it again if it was stolen. It's worth it! Buy it! You will not be disappointed!

szekelymihai
    "For some reason, they speak in German." ...because they are German!?they feel more comfortable talking in their own language, as any 6 billion people on this planet. Plus, you have subtitles - can't see the purpose of your rant. I truly believe this is the best concert I have ever seen... to bad I wasn't there.