Nico review by Blind Melon

• Released: Jan 1, 1996
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Blind Melon: Nico

"Letters From A Porcupine!" screams the late Shannon Hoon on a answering machine to a bandmate in the early '90s. The music on this album is simply a tribute for Shannon Hoon who died because of a drug overdose in 1995. The band dedicated these outtakes and b side recordings to Shannon's daughter Nico Blue Hoon. The sound is almost mysterious on some of the recordings. 1 song, "Pusher" was recorded in a log cabin. The quaility is what I describe as sketchy and unofficial. Although the album's feeling really matters. This record's feeling is very much underrated but not as good as you might think.

There are 2 cover songs on this album and various outtakes and songs that didn't cut it. "Soup" didn't make the album Soup that was released a few months before Shannon's death but the melody is a lot better then the lyrics. The lyrics cry for help on this song "a bowl of bitter beans." That is exactly what this song represented in it's meaning. Maybe some different and more improvised lyrics should of came about on this song. The song "Pull" is a crafty one that reflects with "Soup" on the lyrically cries but get by just enough to not notice it's faults. Then the best song I think that is on Nico is "Soul One" a older Bling Melon song that goes back to 1991, before Blind Melon were really Blind Melon, his vocals are astounding on this track, one of their best songs to date.

The album is good for it's intentions, but all crap aside it didn't cut it as a good album. I like it a lot personally aside from the fact of it's purpose. I wouldn't get it if it was lost, it isn't that good anyways honestly. I'm a big Blind Melon fan so I have it. The "Classic Masters" album which is a greatest hits record features 3 tracks off the Nico album which are the best three tracks actually. Nico, your dad does miss you, I'm sure. Nico is a album to get but not forget for anyone I think except casually intrested fans.

blind_melon1995
    awesome album. i hope they released all their acoustic demos and stuff soon. soul one is one of the best songs ever