Nico Review

Blind Melon: Nico
Released: 1996
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock, Grunge
The 13-track collection showed that many of these songs were as strong as the ones that had appeared on their prior albums.
 8.4
 7.7
Nico Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on april 29, 2005

Sound: "Letters From A Porcupine!" screams the late Shannon Hoon on a answering machine to a bandmate in the early '90s. The music on this album is simply a tribute for Shannon Hoon who died because of a drug overdose in 1995. The band dedicated these outtakes and b side recordings to Shannon's daughter Nico Blue Hoon. The sound is almost mysterious on some of the recordings. 1 song, "Pusher" was recorded in a log cabin. The quaility is what I describe as sketchy and unofficial. Although the album's feeling really matters. This record's feeling is very much underrated but not as good as you might think. // 6

Lyrics: There are 2 cover songs on this album and various outtakes and songs that didn't cut it. "Soup" didn't make the album Soup that was released a few months before Shannon's death but the melody is a lot better then the lyrics. The lyrics cry for help on this song "a bowl of bitter beans." That is exactly what this song represented in it's meaning. Maybe some different and more improvised lyrics should of came about on this song. The song "Pull" is a crafty one that reflects with "Soup" on the lyrically cries but get by just enough to not notice it's faults. Then the best song I think that is on Nico is "Soul One" a older Bling Melon song that goes back to 1991, before Blind Melon were really Blind Melon, his vocals are astounding on this track, one of their best songs to date. // 4

Overall Impression: The album is good for it's intentions, but all crap aside it didn't cut it as a good album. I like it a lot personally aside from the fact of it's purpose. I wouldn't get it if it was lost, it isn't that good anyways honestly. I'm a big Blind Melon fan so I have it. The "Classic Masters" album which is a greatest hits record features 3 tracks off the Nico album which are the best three tracks actually. Nico, your dad does miss you, I'm sure. Nico is a album to get but not forget for anyone I think except casually intrested fans. // 6

Nico Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2005

Sound: The main reason for the release of Blind Melon's final album, Nico, was to give the late great Shannon Hoon one final bow and this album does it beautifully. The band does away with some of their busy, guitar heavy sound they had with "Blind Melon" and "Soup." In fact, many of the tracks are just Shannon on an acoustic guitar that was recorded in some hotel room. Along with these tracks, the CD includes a few covers (Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" and John Lennon's "John Sinclair"), some full band recordings from the sessions of "Soup" and even a song recorded by Shannon on a band member's answering machine. The CD (and the band) hits its peak with the song "Soup." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and singing on this album is damn near flawless. Shannon was always an amazing vocalist and on this album he pulls even more emotion out of his voice on his final record. All of the lyrics seem heartfelt and are nothing short of pure genious. Perhaps the greatest song released by Blind Melon is "Soup." The song is so emotional and powerful that by the time Shannon sings the line "I'll pull the trigger and make it all go away," the listener should be close to tears. // 10

Overall Impression: Soup is the perfect album. Excellent from start to finish, Soup is the perfect way to say goodbye to a fallen friend. (RIP Shannon Hoon). // 10

Comments