Soup review by Blind Melon

• Released: Jan 1, 1995
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Blind Melon: Soup

The sound of this album is well done. Acoustic guitars to blazing riffs and chords. The album was the followup to the multiplatium debut "Blind Melon" in 1993. It failed in album sales and Rolling Stone blasted the album with bad reviews. Simple chords are used throughout the record. It is a nice college/relaxed sound and Shannon Hoon's voice is beautiful.

The lyrics are good in some areas and bad in others. For the most part they are good. The song titles throw you off guard and you're not sure what this song is supposed to mean. The writing wasn't all that deep with the exception of "Mouthful of Cavities." "Walk" is a great one too. The lyrics do justice but could've been better. The Singer's voice is always amazing no matter what he sings. Blind Melon always credited lyrics to the whole band. Something I didn't like.

I like this album because it is a consistent album of that time period. 1995 was a year that it was touigh to overshadow Kurt Cobain's suicide. It was a tough year to tour with several acts coming up like Bush and Green Day. The album is weak compared to other albums in this 2 year area. (1994/1995) Shannon Hoon's overdose of cocaine a half year after the albums release really put the nail in the coffin with this band's short life. The "Classic" record released in 2002 has 5 songs from the this album. The Classic record has 12 tracks. Half of the tracks are from "Soup". I do not own this record but have listened to it from the Classic version and from around and around. It isn't a great album to own unless you're a diehard fan. Me, myself happens to be a casual fan.