3 Rounds And A Sound review by Blind Pilot

• Released: Jul 15, 2008
Blind Pilot: 3 Rounds And A Sound

Perpetuating the stereotype that every indie-rock band has to come from the Pacific Northwest, Blind Pilot is a duet out of Portland, Oregon. In true indie-rock fashion, their sound is heavily based in a slow melodic acoustic-folk sound. When I first heard them I thought they reminded my a lot of how a poppier version of Bright Eyes would sound. But if you listen to the record that is actually a very big compliment.

The lyrical content of this band is something I really enjoyed. Lately I have felt bogged down in a lot of bands who adhere so strictly to the customary format of verse-verse-chorus(repeat) that this band really feels fresh. I don't want to keep comparing them to Bright Eyes but there really are common threads in the why they use free verse writing and with many songs not really having a true repeating chorus. This similarity is never more apparent then in the song "Oviedo." The title track, "3 Rounds and a Sound" is the best example of the kind of lyrics you will find on this album; "Now I see you, til kingdom come, You're the one I want, To see me, For all the stupid shit I've done."

Blind Pilot is not recreating the wheel here, there are a number of indie-rock bands with a similar sound, however, I have not heard many who pull it off as well as these guys do. The lead singer, Israel Nebecker's vocals are very solid, the lyrics are original and poignant, and the music has such as sweet laid-back acoustic feel that there really isn't anything not to like about this band. If you enjoy this genre of music, you will not be disappointed with Blind Pilot's debut album '3 Rounds and a Sound.'