About A Burning Fire Review

Blindside: About A Burning Fire
Released: Feb 24, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
It's a stronger album than Silence, and shows some creative derring-do even if it ultimately settles for the typical sounds of now.
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
About A Burning Fire Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2004

Sound: This CD is by a band called Blindside that is from Stockholm, Sweden. This CD rules because of the unique blend of hard rock and vocals that scream passion right into your face. One of the songs, "Shekina", is partially written in their native tongue, Swedish and has a Swedish singer as well. This is just one of the many unique sounds on this album. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics on this CD were that they were skillfully written and, after a few listens, are esay to sing along to. The singer, Christian Lindskog, blends screaming with heart-felt vocals that tie into the emotion of the lyrics. Blindside's lyrics are Christian and their lyrics back that up. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this band was that it was one of the best bands I have ever heard. Their lyrics and music are unique and enjoyable to listen to. The best songs are: "Eye Of The Storm," "Follow You Down," "All Of Us," "Across Waters Again," "After You're Gone" and "About A Burning Fire." // 10

About A Burning Fire Reviewed by: Covin, on december 16, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album I believe is rawer than their American debut "Silence." The first 5 seconds of the album are a very accurate fortelling of the overall album; with melody and raw energy, Blindside slap you in the face with blatant determination accompanied by a fierce intensity. However, this raw energy that is displayed with the opening songs of the album quickly dissipates into their sensitive side; though you can tell from their heavy songs that they are very much in touch with their softer side, their passion is shown best with their experimentation. Songs like "Shekina," "Roads," and the awesomely performed, "Where The Sun Never Dies," are by far where Blindside shine. Their passion is exhibited in their creativity, and I feel that this album displays and very good potential for future albums, though this in itself is a remarkable effort. Guitar-wise, I enjoy the pedals that the player uses when he's not using their usual distortion, and the variety of riffs is to be complimented. Bass-wise, I appreciate the bassist's playing, but the guitar's distortion overwhelms him at times, so there's a fundamental flaw that they will outgrow with future albums. Drumming was excellent for some of the complicated riffs. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically, Blindside are very passionate. They are explicitly christian, but not at all a cliche like what you'll find on a typical christian radio station. That's one of the main layers of foundation that separates Blindside from the rest of their christian rock brothers; they're passionate, but they're different. While they're screaming or singing their hearts on, they're also performing lyrics that took some time and thought, not just a 5-minute rough draft that you'll hear from an adolescent band on mainstream radio. Personally, I think that the lyric of "Roads," "Across Waters Again," "Hooray, It's LA," and the title track are their shining lyrics on this album. "About A Burning Fire," is a great example of a song that blends the genre of metal and christian metal. A lot of people will argue that metal is metal, but I disagree; I hear a different sound in christian metal, and I feel that this song is definitely a mixture of the two, and can be appreciated by fans of both genres. The melodies of most songs fit the music casually, efficiently, though a couple could probably have been better, or simply done with different music; the filler tracks, for example: "Swallow," "Die Buying." "Eye Of The Storm" also has a couple of spots, but the passion in the vocalist's voice easily remedies the problem. Vocally, I enjoy the album; I often find myself wanting to scream with him, and other times, wanting to sing with him; he puts on a very passionate performance. The only problem, though, is that he needs to cut it out. His voice is going out and he needs to preserve it; you can tell that their hardcore days definitely reflect in his voice today. // 6

Overall Impression: The album has an overall good feel to it. Though it's not groundbreaking (with the exception of "Where The Sun Never Dies"), the album does display a very raw intensity (yes, I know I've used that several times now, but there's few words to describe their 'fire', their 'passsion'). I enjoy this album, and for a time I was very much into it, but all in all, their international debut Silence was better. I consider myself hard to please in the area of music; movie-wise, I'm a jerk, musically though, I'm a little more inclined to make exceptions. This album is a good album, and I would recommend buying it, but if you don't trust the review, then I would recommned buying on some music site that sells song for 99 cents the following: "Where the Sun Never Dies," "About A Burning Fire," "Shekina," "All Of Us," and "Eye Of the Storm." // 6

Comments