The Great Depression review by Blindside

• Released: Aug 2, 2005
Blindside: The Great Depression

The singer of the band went to Africa for mission work and it inspired him in making this album. You can tell it had a big affect on the lyrics and sound of the album. You get the heavy songs like "Yamkela," "Were All Going To Die," and "Come To Rest." Then you get the in between songs like the single "Fell In Love With The Game," "This Is A Heartattack," and "We Are To Follow." And finally the softer songs like "This Time," "Ask Me Now" and "City Lights." This is defanitly a different sound for Blindside. The guitar seems not as heavy as past albums. It seems more bassy without a lot of gain or volume, but it fits the music. At times the cd is heavier than About a burning Fire and Silence and at other times softer. It has a mellow dark tone with a heavy edge. Thats basically the only way to describe the sound of The Great Depression.

Like I said before the singers time in Africa inspired him with the writing and sound of the Great Depression. Obviously he named this album that for a reason. Is it Depressing? No. This is not emo. Some lyrics have to deal with death, pain, sorrow. But also hope, inspiration, and God (don't forget that Blindside is a Christian band). The lyrics are some of the best they have done. They capture the feel and tone of the music. They actually make you want to know more about the meaning of the song. And the singer is excellent whether singing or screaming. Some of the best vocals for him to date.

I just got this cd and honestly after one listen I was dissapointed a little. I thought that it could have more heavy songs. But the second time around it grew on me and I started to like it more and more. My favorite songs so far are "Were All Going To Die," "Put Back The Stars," "Yamkela," "Ask Me Now," "When I Remember" and "Fell In Love With The Game." Every track is good but those are my faves so far. And when your listening to it dont skip a track to get the overall affect of The Great Depression. It kind of feels like it unfolds into a story and you feel like in those times. I would buy it again if I lost it or it got stolen, yes. With every Scream, riff, bassline, and drumbeat Blindside give it their all in every piece of music they create. And that is all I ask as a fan.