The Great Depression review by Blindside

• Released: Aug 2, 2005
Blindside: The Great Depression

This definately is a new step for Blindside. Plenty of past influence mixed with a not so subtle new "Queens Of The Stone Age" touch to the guitar. The first song that really caught my ear was Yamkela. I have yet to figure out the lyrics because I'm so drawn to the guitar riffs.

The Great Depression offers a variety of emotion. For instance This Is A Heartattack starts off subtle with a light jazzy style blended with Christian singing breaking right into a smack in the face with full fledged political rock! Christian "We're at war/Realize this is a heartattack/One nation under attack yea/Heart is frozen but its ready to crack yea." I'm checking out the lyrics right now and they're quite interesting. "Wasted, disposable dying scum. Two months tops before silence replace your small beating drum. Isn't that what we're all waiting for? So we can go homje and celebrate our good life." Personally I think that this is a totally different step for christian lyrically. I could get the picture before but this time I can't quite grasp the meaning as easily. Which is a good thing for me! I love a challenge.

I love this album, but I still love About A Burning Fire the most. Maybe I just need some breathing time with this album. Definately one for the collection if you like Blindside!

jesusfreak56
    this cd's great, and blindside's always sruck to their genre. when someone talks about hardcore, blindside always comes to my mind, but i also think that they can do a great job at putting a few softer, more mellow songs, with more feeling. the singer has a great voice, but can also scream like crazy (Yemkela,Come to Rest and the bridge in Fell In Love With The Game are all especially good screaming sections), while having a pretty impressive singing voice. im giving this album a 10, but theres one thing that's kinda funny but could upset some people. these guys arent from america, and im having a really weird moment i cant remember where theyre from, but where they write their thanks in the booklet the lead guitar player(absolutely amazing) wrote his in another language, while the others were in english. this is one of my absolute favorite christian bands of all times, and im glad that some christian bands are brave enough to cross over the line of acoustic,alternative genre, which is great, dont get me wrong, but this can be so much more interesting, and its some great music, that must be heard to understand. buy this album!!! JESUS SAVES!!
    Phrippe
    jesusfreak56: Blindside are from Sweden, just like me. I live about 20 kilometers from where they grew up=)