The Great Depression Review

Released: Aug 2, 2005
Label: DRT Entertainment
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative CCM, Alternative Metal
The fans who got introduced to Blindside through Silence and found About A Burning Fire hard to swallow will find this CD more to their liking.
 8.6
 9.3
 7.9
The Great Depression Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2005

Sound: The singer of the band went to Africa for mission work and it inspired him in making this album. You can tell it had a big affect on the lyrics and sound of the album. You get the heavy songs like "Yamkela," "Were All Going To Die," and "Come To Rest." Then you get the in between songs like the single "Fell In Love With The Game," "This Is A Heartattack," and "We Are To Follow." And finally the softer songs like "This Time," "Ask Me Now" and "City Lights." This is defanitly a different sound for Blindside. The guitar seems not as heavy as past albums. It seems more bassy without a lot of gain or volume, but it fits the music. At times the cd is heavier than About a burning Fire and Silence and at other times softer. It has a mellow dark tone with a heavy edge. Thats basically the only way to describe the sound of The Great Depression. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before the singers time in Africa inspired him with the writing and sound of the Great Depression. Obviously he named this album that for a reason. Is it Depressing? No. This is not emo. Some lyrics have to deal with death, pain, sorrow. But also hope, inspiration, and God (don't forget that Blindside is a Christian band). The lyrics are some of the best they have done. They capture the feel and tone of the music. They actually make you want to know more about the meaning of the song. And the singer is excellent whether singing or screaming. Some of the best vocals for him to date. // 10

Overall Impression: I just got this cd and honestly after one listen I was dissapointed a little. I thought that it could have more heavy songs. But the second time around it grew on me and I started to like it more and more. My favorite songs so far are "Were All Going To Die," "Put Back The Stars," "Yamkela," "Ask Me Now," "When I Remember" and "Fell In Love With The Game." Every track is good but those are my faves so far. And when your listening to it dont skip a track to get the overall affect of The Great Depression. It kind of feels like it unfolds into a story and you feel like in those times. I would buy it again if I lost it or it got stolen, yes. With every Scream, riff, bassline, and drumbeat Blindside give it their all in every piece of music they create. And that is all I ask as a fan. // 8

The Great Depression Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2005

Sound: Blindside's sound has grown, in my opinion, more mature with every album. The guitarist really changed his sound on this CD to more of a softer, deeper sound that fits all the songs perfectly. The singers voice gets better with every song. They used a lot of new tricks in recording the CD that shows their inginuity. They have progressed a lot in the 10 years theyve been together, and I love it. // 10

Lyrics: Christian's lyrics are deeper, and are filled with little puns and analogies. You can definetly tell he put a lot of time and soul into the words. His melodies fit the music perfect, just like all the other CD's. He also uses his vocal range VERY well here. Plus I guess you could say he plays around with his screaming. Hard to explain, but he really put everything he had into recording the screaming parts. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before Blindside has grown into a very talented good band in their 10 years. If you compare early albums like Blindside, or A Thought Crushed My Mind, or even Silence, to About A Burning Fire and The Great Depression you can tell theyve come along ways. They've incorperated a lot more kinds of music in their new albums, especially this one. It used to be all hardcore metal/sreaming and such but now you have songs like This Time and This Is A Heart Attack. This band is pure genious as well as this CD. The "odd-time" riffs like on Yamkela are amazing. These guys are very talented and very good (especially live, I saw them a few weeks ago, best concert I've ever been to). I'd for sure go buy this album again and again and again. // 10

The Great Depression Reviewed by: l337gr33k, on august 08, 2005

Sound: This definately is a new step for Blindside. Plenty of past influence mixed with a not so subtle new "Queens Of The Stone Age" touch to the guitar. The first song that really caught my ear was Yamkela. I have yet to figure out the lyrics because I'm so drawn to the guitar riffs. // 8

Lyrics: The Great Depression offers a variety of emotion. For instance This Is A Heartattack starts off subtle with a light jazzy style blended with Christian singing breaking right into a smack in the face with full fledged political rock! Christian "We're at war/Realize this is a heartattack/One nation under attack yea/Heart is frozen but its ready to crack yea." I'm checking out the lyrics right now and they're quite interesting. "Wasted, disposable dying scum. Two months tops before silence replace your small beating drum. Isn't that what we're all waiting for? So we can go homje and celebrate our good life." Personally I think that this is a totally different step for christian lyrically. I could get the picture before but this time I can't quite grasp the meaning as easily. Which is a good thing for me! I love a challenge. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, but I still love About A Burning Fire the most. Maybe I just need some breathing time with this album. Definately one for the collection if you like Blindside! // 8

Comments