Blink-182 review by Blink-182

• Released: Nov 18, 2003
Blink-182: Blink-182

Styles: Punk, Punk revival, Nu-Punk, Heavily mastered Blink 182 has been a pioneer for their style of punk and are continuing that tradition with their new self titled album. The most notable difference between this album and their other's is the amount of effects that are used. There is heavey usage of chorus and echo effects on both their voices and instruments. A few of their new songs almost have a rap style to them, with the bass coming out a lot more rather then backing up the guitar. The drumming is pretty fast paced as usual giving their music a really powerful effect alone.

Blink 182 supposidley had a lot more time to work on this album then their previous record "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket." This really comes out in their lyrics, they definatley are lot more meaningfull on this album with a LOT less of blink 182's usual immature style, which was characteristic of their previous works. It seems Blink 182 has sold in the past because of their incredible sense of melody and their symplistic lyric style rather then the meaningfullness of their songs. On this album it seems they tried something different by trying to incorperate more meaningfull songs while still creating very catchy and poppey tunes a mix which seems to have worked out very well for them. My favorite songs lyrically are probably, "Stockholm Syndrome," and "I Miss You." The singing on this album is really good, though I think a lot of it is masked by over mastering of the recording. Tom delonge's singing style has seemed to changed a bit and Mark has become much more of a backup singer compared to their previous albums. I think their voices would come through much better at some points if they laid back on the effects, but on the other hand, at other times they add a lot to the mood of the cd.

I was suprisingly impressed with this album. When I read about this album when it was being created, according to their bassist Mark Hoppus it was supposed to be "one of those albums that will never leave your cd player or one that you'll throw in the trash and spit on." It is very rare for a band like blink 182 with such an established style, to try something new and acually have it turn out sounding really good. I had my friend burn me this cd, since I thought I'd be one of the spitters, but I guess it really clicked with me, so I went out and bought it. It's a must have if you're into this kind of music, and if you're not, give it a try and listen to it once, it's got a lot of good stuff on it.