California review by Blink-182

• Released: May 19, 2017
Blink-182: California

It is definitely a great album with Mark and Matt demonstrating some entertaining rocking vocals (even though it was said that Mark Hoppus was autotuned). Compared to their older albums it does sound more poppy and polished but that doesn't bother me that much. Not a too difficult album to vocally cover or guitar/bass cover but the drums have some complex parts that Travis has put in there as he always does. They've stuck to their punk rock genre jazzing it up with a couple ballads which still sound prefect to me, although I personally prefer the harder, faster songs on every album. But overall I have been impressed with their sound.

There is some entertaining fun and meaningful stories throughout the album. It isn't the deepest lyrical album out there, as it is Blink-182 (all you have to do is checkout the lyrics on "Enema of the State" ;)), but you never go into a Blink album expecting too much. The second single 'No Future' was going to be a potential title for the album but as the song says, it would've sounded like blink had no future as a band, so they stuck to California. An example of a classic near meaningless song is the final track "Brohemian Rhapsody" which has that one liner that Mark came up with: There's something about you, that I can't quite put my finger in. The joking aspect of Blink I actually really like as it just adds some character to the album itself. Solid lyrics but don't expect too much.

It's right up there on my ratings of the latest albums and there's nothing like that punk sound that is heard throughout the album. It wouldn't go on my list of the best rock albums of all time of course but that's a near impossible state to reach as you're contending with pure gold like 'Appetite For Destruction' and 'Love At First Sting'. I know everyone would've wished Tom to still be in the band but you have to move on and prepare yourself for a different sound and a still GREAT sound. The main draw card for this album is the first single "Bored To Death" which I particularly love! Another couple favorites of mine from the album would have to "Left Alone" and "She's Out of Her Mind." They both are catchy and not too pop.

Travis has always been one of the most entertaining drummers out there and he majorly spices up the album with is fills and beats. If it were lost, I would definitely buy it again!

GR84
    I haven't listened yet to this album, but for someone who is more of a Tom fan in the guitar and songwriting aspects of Blink in the past, do you think this is worth my time? I'm seriously asking, cause i'm curious but haven't really felt the need to dive in yet