Cheshire Cat review by Blink-182

• Released: Nov 6, 2000
Blink-182: Cheshire Cat

This could be Blink 182's best album. I love it. It has a diverse collection of songs, everything from upbeat arena tunes to melancholy bass masterpieces. Tom Delonge features his best guitar playing on this album, catchy, fitting riffs fill every track, not to mention a solo or two. Scott Raynor, Blink's first drummer, exhibits extremely skillful drumming in my opinion. While he uses the same snare, cymbal, bass combination a lot, he features quite a few innovative openings throughout the album. Mark Hoppus's bass playing is also above par (when you can hear it.) At the very beginning of the album he has the second intro to Carousel, a solo in Peggy Sue, and a few others. His solos and fills are very fitting and entertaining.

The lyrics on this album are probably Blink's best. They are extremely catchy and meaningful, and yet, not very difficult to understand. Something to also understand is, they're not all about music, they also feature quite a bit of comedy (about 35% of the album) in songs, and the skits between them. It's quite entertaining, actually. The lyrics in this always fit the songs instrumental feel. Not to mention the variety of lyrics used, everything from working on your own, to sodomy with a dog. Mark's vocals are also decent. Not to mention he uses various voices, from a soft murmuring, to a gruff yelling. Tom's singing can be tolerated at times, others it's a bit below par. It doesn't seem to bring the album down too much however.

This is one of my all-time favorite albums. It makes me feel on top of the world. The best songs on the album are Carousel, M&M's, Peggy Sue, Sometimes, Cacophony, Toast And Bananas, Wasting Time, Romeo And Rebecca, and Ben Wah Balls. Yes, all of those deserved mention, and it was extremely difficult to pick them. The whole album is pretty much a masterpiece. I just love everything about this album, from the lyrics, to Mark's vocals, the instrumentals, the diversity; the only thing I'm neutral about are Tom's vocals. But you learn to tolerate them. If it was stolen, I'd buy two and lock one in a safe. It's incredible.

dragonscock
    great album even if the sound is shit, ben wah balls and touchdown boy r really gud tom songs.