Cheshire Cat review by Blink-182

• Released: Nov 6, 2000
Blink-182: Cheshire Cat

As far as riffs go, this album is excellent. Mark's bass riffs on "Carousel," "TV," "Ben Wah Balls," "Cacophony" and Tom's guitar riffs in pretty much every song. The drums can be a bit too loud at some points, and the quality isn't the best. Also, let's face it. Mark and Tom can't sing on this album. But, their voices seem to fit so well you barely even notice. As a matter of fact, their voices seem to get better and better the more you listen! If you are just getting into skate punk/pop-punk music, this album has a great sound for you to listen to. The album may be a little stale as far as variety goes, as well. A lot of the songs on this album sound similar, most likely due to the flat drum beats provided by Scott Raynor...

"Now I know that you're my dad because you use Ben Wah Balls."
"I don't want to urinate on myself."
"What's happening in this world, I don't care at all."

Just some of the lyrics on this album that represents Blink's goofiness. While Blink-182 take their music very serious nowadays, here, Blink fooled around on more than half the songs on the album. All you have to do is listen to the final track, "Depends." After a minute of singing a song about adult diapers, the trio proceeds to fool around for the rest of the song.

However, the band can be serious when they want to, as well. "Carousel" is about staying in school because life isn't much better when you are on your own in the real world. "Peggy Sue" is about being restricted as a teenager by your parents. Of course, must of Blink's songs on this album relates to teenage problems, proving Blink isn't just a band that sings about a f--king dog!

Overall, Blink-182's 1995 full-length debut album is proven to be a great punk rock album. Some of the best songs on the album include "Carousel", "Strings", "Cacophony", "Peggy Sue", "Ben Wah Balls" and "Wasting Time". Some of the best parts of the album include it's great sound, it's fantastic bass and guitar riffs and it's fast and energetic drum beats. Although the vocals can sometimes be a little ... well ... terrible, but the vocals fit perfectly into the songs. The drum beats also need a lot more variety as they are very stale and have little variety. This can take a lot from some of the songs.

However, they can be very fun to play if you are a drummer. In conclusion, the album isn't just an album you buy on a whim. The album is more for hardcore blink-182 fans or anybody getting to skate punk and pop-punk music.

Robbgnarly
    I remember when this album came out, it took the record store 4 months to get me the Cassette-tape. M&M's and Carousel are my favorite tracks. Not a big fan of the post Dude ranch Blink, but this album lets me remember being 16 again.