Dogs Eating Dogs review by Blink-182

• Released: Dec 18, 2012
Blink-182: Dogs Eating Dogs

Blink-182 is recently coming off of their reunion album, "Neighborhoods", an album that contrasted considerably from what they are known for, Keep It Simple Stupid pop punk. In some cases, this angered old time fans while usually doing nothing to attract new ones. All of the band members agreed that flawed recording procedures (e-mail exchange) jeopardized that album's success and quickly reconvened in November to record this five song EP in time for Christmas. While this album is sound production wise, lacking any of the complications of the prior album, it seems a bit rushed on the writing side. However, one could interpret this as Blink returning to a simpler writing process, closer to the one that gave them success in the past. In any event, this EP keeps the sound of the mature Blink-182 while going back to the basics in certain aspects, providing a solid EP that all fans can enjoy over Winter Break. But of course, I caution that it probably won't last much longer...

The first song of the EP, "When I Was Young", starts with an odd part where the drums are very low and in the background, playing under a synth section of half notes. The harmonics of a guitar enter and, a few phrases later, the drums swell, bringing the album into the normal fast, pop punk of Blink-182. The chorus slows down, of course, for a three-chord riff and the bridge is a repeat of the intro section. Overall, this song is solid. The interesting intro part (which actually sounds better during the bridge) and chorus have won me over so far.

"Dogs Eating Dogs" - there are no frills on this number, save the bridge that almost sounds the same as that of the previous song, but less "out of place" (a more appropriate term escapes me). Everything here is pure pop punk and the repeated chorus line of "dogs, dogs eating dogs, dogs eating" is catchier and much less annoying than one would believe.

"Disaster" starts experimentally with a bass and almost theremin sounding synth part. The line of "Disaster, Disaster" blends nicely with the opening groove as well as the synth. The guitar that eventually joins the opening groove is copied nicely into the chorus with the "Disaster, Disaster" line that both sound perfect under the standard Travis Barker beat that is present here. As in the first song, the intro groove is repeated as the bridge section, which then leads into a final chorus. While this song is experimental, its format forces it to be grouped with the other songs, making it hardly experimental in the grand scheme of things. Still, it's a decent effort.

"Boxing Day" is the lone acoustic song on the EP. This is the one that was released beforehand free. I find it amusing for Blink-182 (U.S.A! U.S.A!) to have released a song of this title. Nevertheless, this song is my favorite song of the album. This is because the guitar work here is the most intricate and interesting to follow on the album. The harmonies and the Christmas spirit make this one very fun as well and it will well serve my iPod over Winter Break. As a side note, the verses sound suspiciously like the song from the beginning of "Shrek".

While it isn't apparent at first, "Pretty Little Girl" ends up being the most experimental song of the EP. The song starts with eighth notes that we've all seen before, but here, DeLonge puts delay and another effect on the sound to make it interesting as well as the quiet drum effect that is by far, in my mind, the most used effect on the album. When the verses turn into pop punk, there isn't a large amount of speed, a change compared to the rest of the songs. A special note for this song is that the bridge doesn't copy the intro, but instead is a rapped section over a drum roll, which I think is the wrong idea if Blink wanted to change the pace. In total, almost everything about this closer makes it stand out from the rest of the songs on the EP.

Hoppus and DeLonge provide solid lyrics for this EP that fit the music, don't stretch limits, are catchy, and can be funny at some points. Here is an example from "Pretty Little Girl", :19 years as you grow into my beating heart, oh it seems you're just (?) it as my hand moves up your arm, and you never really know where it goes until it starts, I got my eye on you, what you gonna do?

From that excerpt, you might already be able to tell where their vocal delivery is leading. On this EP, the vocalists aim at sounding very young, in their 20's which might be contrary to previous changes in Blink-182's vocal approach. Besides the fact that I abhor modern, young, alternative voices like theirs, their vocal delivery fit the music in a pleasant way and their melodies were easy to sing along to.

While it seems that Blink-182 is trying to experiment here, many of the musical aspects of the album are repeated throughout. Examples include the quiet drum effect, the synth flavored intros, and how the bridges are repeats of the intros. The best song on the EP is the ironic "Boxing Day" and for the worst song, I don't really have one.

Again, this album will provide solid listening over Winter Break and it is a fairly good follow up to "Neighborhoods". But, the primary thing I have gained from this EP, is an interest in how the band will evolve on their next full length record; towards the mature Blink-182 or the old Blink-182 of the late '90s and early '00s.

Darth Wader
    Am I the only one who loved Neighborhoods?! I thought it was great
    Superperfex
    I love hearing their progression. Especially in Neighborhoods, it was a solid album. But this EP is better in terms of a full effort. You can HEAR it in the music. They wrote this together and that's why I get goosebumps listening to the songs
    Tubsy41
    I can't believe that this reviewer refers to 'All Star' by Smash Mouth as 'the song from the beginning of "Shrek"'.
    21Days
    I love blink. They're my favourite band, but surely I'm not the only one noticing that Tom is dominating the vocals on this EP and Neighborhoods? I love Tom, but we need more Mark.
    musiclover2399
    I agree. Mark didn't do solo vocals on one song. Add the noticeable AVA influence, and it seems that Tom has been overpowering Mark's influence.
    Steelers192
    the problems that occur on neighborhoods and dogs eating dogs are almost 100% from not working with a producer. blink 182 needs to STOP self-producing their recent material and hire an outside ear, a producer, to come in and give everything focus. this coming from a huge blink/jerry finn fan.
    yogui
    That's what I think, yes, they need a producer. But with this ep they manage to present a band "with bases", instead of Neighborhoods, which I think is kinda messy. They are "flowing" again, well I see that.
    The_Wilrus
    I was surprised with hte improvement in Tom's vocals. There seemed to be a attempt to eliminate the trademark whine. Enjoyed it on a whole. Although I see Boxing Day as a weakest song.
    cha33 armstrong
    blink could never disapoint me
    thesephers
    what if they turned all lost prophets like?
    RaKooN13
    What, showing up with a surprise child sex offenses? sorry, had to.
    thesephers
    Thats what I meant, sorry if it was unclear
    xxmvpmanxx
    I prefer this over neighborhoods, Im excited to see what the future will bring from them.
    Mayhem622
    so happy they are back! for someone who is completely obsessed with them this is a great return to form, while maintaining the more "mature" sound of Neighborhoods. IMO this is their best release in a very long time. I'm extremely excited to hear what comes next!
    Guitar Skater
    totally agree if they keep releasing music like this they might be able to be as big as they were during the toypaj era
    Steelers192
    im a HUGE life long blink fan. theyll never be as popular or big as in their prime since theyre an independent artist now. you lose all of the radio time and promotion that comes with being on a record label. their best music i believe is ahead of them, as is their best profits, but I've accepted they will not have further mainstream success as independents.
    sam249
    as an old school fan,i assumed i would hate this...since i hate their other new shit...but i REALLY LOVE THIS ep. nice!!!
    MartyMcfly_182
    we got an inkling of things to come. A more mature sound with lyrics that resemble that of Take off your pants and Jacket. This is what all fans wanted. More mature sound with keeping it to the roots that gave their success. I for 1 is very looking forward to what the future holds for blink-182.
    intothe
    I wasn't too impressed, I enjoyed Neighborhoods more than this EP to be honest
    ihaterap69
    This EP is awesome. All I wish was that they left the rap part out of the last song...
    VanguardV
    I love Blink's mature sound just as much as their "old" sound. It's so cool to see how one of the most influential bands of our generation is dealing with adulthood.
    Horizon-T
    I can't wait for their next album, they should take away all the feedback and maek their next album the best they have ever released!
    gabrielhernande
    I as well really enjoyed Neighborhoods, the concert for the album was AMAZING! i somehow go to meet them. As for this EP, enjoyable as well. I loved how tthey experimented, but still staying true to their original self as a band. 2 thumbs up!
    Gerard Way Jr
    "...the song from the beginning of Shrek." UG, do you have twelve year olds writing your reviews? Anyone who can't name Smash Mouth's "All Star" on the spot has questionable legitimacy in musical critique. Jesus.
    ejams
    Neighbourhoods is much better than this EP. Not a song on this I like. And I'm a big Blink-182 homer =(
    rhn94
    Surprisingly good. This coming from a guy who only like 1 song from Neighborhoods.
    turkeyjerky214
    I was disappointed in Neighborhoods because it sounded like three guys who were sending files to each other to put the album together. This one sounds like they've gotten back what made their 2003 album so great. It gets a little more AVA than I'd like from a blink album, but definitely a big step in the right direction.
    Bair
    Yah. It seemed like Tom had been shoving AVA into Neighborhoods and now this.
    turkeyjerky214
    Yup. If he's completely done with AVA and he's trying to pull a bit of that sound into blink, that's fine, but if AVA is still going to be releasing material, keep it separate from blink's sound.
    ChandMan21
    Definitely way better than "Neighborhoods". You can't make an album while you're all scattered around the country or globe, and this EP shows their best work is when they're all together and working off of eachother. So pumped for the new album.
    SwordNemesis
    Okay not gonna lie, I've listened to Boxing Day and Pretty Little girl over and over and over again. Boxing day first caught my attention because of the catchy lyrics and well rounded harmonies. Obviously a pretty overused chord structure for the pre chorus but hey, what isn't these days? And pretty little girl, holy crap, if thats an indicator of where Blink 182 is going then I'm definitely liking it because that song showed the most promise I think. Obviously the rap part wasn't really the greatest but hey, can't always get what you want. First 3 songs were pretty mediocre in my opinion, borrowing heavily from Neighborhoods in some instances. But the last 2 are definitely the shine.
    6con6man6
    When I was young is definitely my favourite song. I found boxing day quite difficult to listen to. I really like the song itself, but it almost feels out of time in some parts... though that might just be me
    ole94engmo
    Tom DeLonge, Tune your guitar. It's out of tune on boxing day (listen to the intro).
    dj1991
    it wasn't out of tune, just out of phase. Two guitar tracks out of phase can sound out of tune.
    nico42
    I think that's intentional. Even the vocals are auto-tuned 100% to pitch, so why would they forget to tune a guitar?
    chi3l
    The cover reminds me of I, Vigilante by Crippled Black Phoenix.
    Nerdywolfcub
    Despite my bias to love every song that Blink has ever written, I find this album to be a hopeful indicator that they are going in the right direction to head toward their roots, while also maintaining the mature sound that they have acquired over the years.
    Aisle_Nine
    Ok, Let's get something straight, Neighborhoods was Awesome and Dogs Easting Dogs is even Awesomer. Yeah I know that's not a word. But seriously, every song on this EP dominates. If this is any indication as to where Blink is headed, it's gonna a second coming for this band and it's fans alike.
    badfish_lewis
    I lost interest after dude ranch. I remember buying it when it first came out and then Travis came along and whatever "punk" was there to begin with went down the ol' terlet
    Cradis
    I wish they had a different drum beat with yelawolf's verse, the drum roll was kind of lame.
    mattman25
    Bhudda, Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch are their best albums. Enema of the state was great too but from there it was all downhill. Not alot downhill just a little. They drifted from a pop punk band to a pop rock band.
    fromzero
    The guy that wrote this was clearly drunk at the time. I can appreciate that. Thank you for writing some words and stuff drunk guy! (USA! USA!)
    supermott
    The thing I miss most are the catchy riffs (dumpweed, whats my age again, M&Ms, Anthem Pt 2, etc.). I feel like they're almost there with this one - almost to a newer form of Blink. As much as a lot of fans want to hear some more of Dude Ranch/Enema, I think Blink will only draw on little pieces of that. I'm digging the sound and they're definitely better in the studio together but they haven't quite escaped the "+Angels and 44-waves" mash-up feeling.
    Chris182xx
    This ep is great though another mark led song would have been nice. It defiantly has a better feel then neighborhoods probobly due to the fact that they were all in the same room this time. Tracks to check out when I was young , dogs eating dogs , and Boxing Day if you want that pop punk vibe