Dude Ranch review by Blink-182

• Released: Jun 17, 1997
Blink-182: Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch is typical Blink's sound of the time this CD was released, simple and catchy as hell. The riffs at the start of songs such as Dammit and Pathetic. Some of the songs from Dude Ranch also have what could be called a solo. Although simple and nothing compared to solos the great guitarists would produce, they are still great and just add to the catchy feel to the album and are guarenteed to stay in your head. Nearly all the songs from Dude Ranch are based around power-chords, giving the songs that typical puncy, "pop-punk" feel. The slow, palm muted chords at the start of Untitled burst into a fast, punky explosion, before returning to the slow chords, and back to the fast riff again, creating one of the best songs off the album. With very few of the songs exceeding 3 minutes, this is quite a short album, with most of its songs having a fast and exciting pace. Over all, I would say this album deserves an 8 for sound. However, there is annoying, yet quit funny, skits at the end of some songs. These are funny at first, but extreamly irratating after a few listens.

This is where Blink 182 shine on all their albums, on this one inparticular. The lyrics on Dude Ranch show signs of Blink starting to mature although the immature, fun-loving side is still alive and kicking. most of the songs on Dude Ranch are about splitting up with girlfriends/partners. This is most clear on songs like Pathetic, Dammit, Untitled and I'm Sorry. Most of the songs take this "topic" from different angles or viewpoints. However, there is much more to this album (lyrically) than just break ups. There is songs about fantasizing over Princess Leia (New Hope), falling out with parents and being bored (Dick Lips), the joys of having a girlfriend (Josie), perving on your neighbour (Voyeur) and generally being a public nusance (Degenerate).

This is without a doubt my favourite Blink 182 album, and my second favourite album of all (just beaten by Rocket to russia by Ramones). This album shows a great band who were begining to find themselves musically and have reached a peak lyrically. Its highlights are definately Pathetic, Apple Shampoo and Dammit. Although earlier albums cheshire Cat and later albums Enema Of the State and Take Off your pants And Jacket are still brilliant in their own way, I personally prefer Dude Ranch because of its lyrical content. Being in a pop punk (not emo) band myself, I find this album some-what insperational. If only modern pop punk was this good.

rockdude_2008
    its a great cd, just in my opinion the quality could be a bit better but didnt the like record it in a garage or something? idk w/e and i agree with ratmblink123 the drumming aint that great, if only they had travis back then
    skippy_moogoose
    Travis Barker is a legend and he added more depth to Blinks sound with his drumming,much better than Scot's. I agree that the mark sung songs are better, but I think thats true on all Blink albums, he has a better voice in my opinion, not as nasal as Toms,especially live, and Angels and Airwaves kinda suck tbh, +44 should rock though, Mark and Travis, AWESOOME
    blinkoneeighty2
    i disagree with "skippy_mongoose" completely 1st of all....travis barker sucks. ya he may be good but a totally punk band with a drummer who appears in rap videos and talks about nothing but his beloved caddies does not mix, i dont see how they are good friends.Scott "mad dog" Raynor might not have been the greatest drummer of all but he was so much cooler. 2nd- AVA rocks i saw them live in phily and the show was amasing. ya +44 should be good too, but AVA i think is better. anyway, this album is their best, then i think flyswatter is good too. LONG LIVE MARK,TOM, AND SCOTT!!!!!