Enema of the State review by Blink-182

• Released: Sep 27, 1999
Blink-182: Enema of the State

I'm sure pretty much everyone has at least heard of Blink 182 and this is with valid reason. I remember seeing there music all of "Kerrang" amongst other music channels a while back and still to an extent. The fact that the title of the album "Enema Of The State" was to my knowledge thought up on the spot while filming their "Urethra Chroincles" documentary (Which you should definitely check out!) says it all... This band are all about FUN! This isn't to say their music isn't or can't be serious but you really get the impression they have loads of fun doing what they do. In terms of the sound of the album, it's the usual Blink 182 three/four chord song format the majority of the time which I'm absolutely fine with! Not to mention there are some absolutely killer riffs and melodies on this album which will stay with you forever!.. Not to mention what Travis brings to the table!

I personally will look over any lyric, they don't have to be particularly heart felt or sincere but what I can't stand is cheesy lyrics! Luckily I don't find any of the lyrics particularly cringe worthy when they're being sang in the song. The lyrics really flow and that's what really matters! The singing actually sounds really good, Mark and Tom's vocals have definitely improved since the "Dude Ranch" recording. Although I don't think pristine vocals have every really been the point. However Mark and Tom have absolutely nailed the harmonies on this album and I don't think I can picture "What's My Age Again" with out both the guys shouting "23" in the choruses. Listen to "The Party Song" for some very impressive lyric (what I'm going to call) "spitting" from Mark. Tom gets a lot of stick about having a "whiny vocal". I don't really see a problem with it and especially on this album it totally suits the their sound! (Side note - I went to see Blink at the O2 Arena on the 9th of June 2012 and his vocals were top notch!)

Looking at this album now I still think it stands it's ground with the ones both before and after it! Don't get me wrong I love "M+Ms", "Dammit" and other classics as much as the next Blink superfan but when writing this album I get the impression that they started to realise speed wasn't everything and this definitely shows on a song like "Adam's Song" which after listening to any of the previous albums, you really can't picture them writing and They probably became better song writers because of this. My top (more than) 5 songs off the album are: "Dumpweed", "Mutt", "The Party Song", "Wendy Clear", "Going Away To College" and "What's My Age Again". (This is in no way disputing the other songs on the album, they pretty much all kick a-s!) What I love about this album is the fact that I listen to it soo much and still enjoy it the same if not more than ever. As soon as I hear that brilliant riff at the beginning of "Dumpweed" I know I'm in for some fun. Lets get this straight I would never lose this album... But if I did I would totally buy it again! There's so much right with this album it's hard to think that the band broke up. With all this positive I guess I have to give some negative. The only negative thing I can think of is that I didn't write this album! Mark, Tom and Travis must go to bed every night happy just because this album exists. Go buy it! It's worth every damn penny! A++++++

Weezerrocks
    Thin-Lizzy wrote: I miss blink ...
    Why? They are still together and touring you know.