I Miss You review by Blink-182

• Released: Mar 2, 2004
Blink-182: I Miss You

Blinks sound matured immensely, if not having improved. They have tried to become musicians, thinkers when they are best suited to fart jokes and sexual humor. However, it does come off well enough on this single. I Miss You, the second track lifted off their self-titled album was inspired by the jazz tinged Cure track "Lovecats." The similarity starts and ends in the use of instruments (jazz brush drumming, acoustic guitar and stand up bass). Lovecats was an amazingyly catchy, upbeat and hysterically unique. As well as having one of the best videos ever. I Miss You is a slow, brooding number pining for a lost one. Not Now, the B-Side not released on the album everywhere except for Britain is in my opinion the best ever Blink 182 song. The acoustic chorus they have and the brilliant bass riff makes it addictive, catchy and perfect. The James Guthrie mix of I Miss You is basically a deconstruction of the original, seperating the instruments from one another.

The use of imagery on I Miss You, talking about spiders etc fits in with the slightly sombre mood of the song. Marks baritone singing works well, but Tom fails to impress except when the music moves up with him on the line "Don't waste your time on me, your already the voice inside my head." On Not Now, the lyrics fit excellently and the singing from both men combine very well.

This single is a good impression of where Blink was. Trying to be mature and nearly pulling it off, and rocking out while getting their point across shows where they were.