Neighborhoods review by Blink-182

• Released: Sep 27, 2011
Blink-182: Neighborhoods

After 8 years, Blink-182 finally puts out a new record. After a few side projects like AvA and +44, the sound of the band has shifted from their toilet humor and fun loving brand of pop punk. This record features a much more mature sound than any other in their discography, a good deal of spacey choruses and synth from these 90's pop punk icons. Don't worry there are some good throwback songs on here from some of the older fans. This change feels very natural to me, the next logical step in the band's progression from songs about adult diapers to songs about life and loss and the stress and problems of life. Although at times songs drag and feel a little repetitive, it doesn't draw too much from the overall feel of the album. The guitars sounded epic throughout, fitting the stadium rock like feel of the album. A lot of effects, and a lot spacey-ness. The basslines were all solid but nothing flashy, I kinda miss the rawness of Mark's bass from their first few records. Mark Hoppus is one of the main influence on my bass playing and my music in general and on this album I'm left a little disappointed but I digress. Travis absolutely killed it on this album, Just the little fills and oddities in his playing proved that he deserves some that hype he gets. Not the greatest drummer ever but still making other drummers look like children.

I was definitely satisfied with the lyrics on this album. They all flow very nicely, although I like mentioned before there are a few repetitive tracks on the record like "Kaleidoscope". I enjoy the song but the lack of a strong bridge made me want to skip to the next song. The lyrics and the music work very well together, it almost feels like a soundtrack for a movie... I was very pleased with the sing on "Neighborhoods". Mark sounds like good 'ole Mark while Tom sounds more mature and stronger than previous albums. The backing vocals and harmonies work together well, especially on "Love Is Dangerous" and "Up All Night".

If you're looking for a classic pop punk Blink album, you're going to be disappointed but if you're looking for some really epic and powerful rock than you will be more than happy with "Neighborhoods". My favorite songs of the album have to "Ghost On The Dance Floor", "Even If She Falls", "After Midnight", and "Natives". I love this album, I've only listened to it once but I imagine myself sing along to this like every other Blink-182 record. I'm so relieved that Blink-182 didn't lose what made me love them in the first place, the catchiness, the power, and the ability to make me smile like an idiot. Even though some of the songs are a little dark.