Neighborhoods review by Blink-182

• Released: Sep 27, 2011
Blink-182: Neighborhoods

Blink-182 have gone from snot nosed, bratty pop punks to a more mature sound over the course of the last 17 years, and with their seventh release "Neighborhoods" the boys pick up from where they left off before they split. "Neighborhoods" continues the progression of their sound which started with their self-titled release, ditching the toilet humour entirely. Layered with a more atmospheric sound, the record comes off more as a combination of +44 and AvA, which comes off surprisingly better than expected. It's the Blink-182 that fans know and love, with a little experimentation to spice up the sound here and there. Blink-182 isn't going to win over any new fans, but its a solidly produced album that shines. Oh, and Barker's drumming is fantastic as always.

Following the trend they started with their self-titled release, the group focuses highly on darker themes. Death is a commonly discussed subject; which reflects the conflicts the group had post-break up, as well as near death experiences and the loss of family and friends. Hoppus sounds great, and balances out the more whiney sounding Tom, but together is where they truly shine. On songs like "Up All Night" and "After Midnight" the two trade off lines or verses, creating the best sound on the record. The record marks an even further departure from their roots, which honestly isn't a bad thing at all.

As previously mentioned, it is most easily compared to their self-titled release, and will likely not disappoint if you were a fan of that album. It's not their best record, but it is still a solid record and is worth a listen. Personal favorites on the album include "Natives", "Ghosts On The Dancefloor" and "After Midnight". "Hearts All Gone" harkens back to "Dude Ranch", which will please fans of their older work. If I lost this album, I would not buy it again because I am poor.

intothe
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the AvA and +44 comparison? I think this sounds like blink, period. Just because they incorporate more synths and have added eight years to their voices doesn't mean it's another band. I think this is blink-182, 2011 style.
    Mr_Cbone93
    Why are you here?
    BenBroMusic
    wicked_hobbit
    The album exceeds my expectations. I just hope that it would end grandly. The last few songs are a bit hit-and-miss
    VLVTRVOLVR13
    You need to get your hands on the deluxe album to hear the other 3 songs, they are definitely worth it. Neighborhoods exceeded my expectations on most tracks while others were decent. I think its great that Blink aren't trying to act like they are in their 20s any more. For the most part, it feels like their lyrics and material match up with the generations that have followed them for years.
    Bezza27
    X-Vision
    Bezza27
    WantsLesPaul
    This album has some great songs that are now stuck in my head, but overall the album just doesn't feel as solid as the Self-titled.
    metalforlife18
    fendercobain87
    not bad its been almost eight years since the last album pretty good the guitar is basically grooving alot more on this record .
    MattAnderson111
    I find this album to be exactly what I expected, and It's been on repeat for this past week. Honestly, I'm a huge AVA and +44 fan boy, as well as Boxcar Racer, so, I don't mind the influences. I'm not going to stress the fact that this isn't 1999 and their old stuff is simply that, their old stuff. I think that the "prog" song on this album is definitely "Fighting The Gravity". It isn't so much progressive as it is a dark ambient song, but it does really go over well, never saw Blink doing that.
    LedHotZepPepper
    Oh yea...and the lyrics are their worst yet. Travis is the only thing that keeps the album from being a 1/10.
    LedHotZepPepper
    I was a huge blink fan, from Buddha to their Untitled album. I don't care that their sound has changed, I actually loved the Untitled album which sounded very different from their older stuff. That being said, I HATE this new album. Tom's singing is just horrible, and he hardly gives Mark a fair share of vocals. If Mark had more parts I would like the album a lot more, but my rating of the album as it is, would be a 4. Even though I dislike Angels & Airwaves, I'd rather listen to their first or second album than listen to Neighborhoods. I am very disappointed, but not surprised. I want (+44) back. To me, Blink is dead. I'll always enjoy their other albums, but as for Neighborhoods, I'm giving my burned copy to a friend, because frankly I didn't enjoy it one bit.
    ankit0x1
    well...i m gonna get it. I have never been their fan nor heard any of their song before but Up All night really brought me into them. Hope it would be interesting
    kylealex09
    Bezza27 wrote: Mr_Cbone93 wrote: Bezza27 wrote: I'll direct you to the review of machine heads unto the locust for a review of an album that is actually good. Why are you here? I used to like Blink. I thought, might see what people are saying about their new album, I gave it a listen. It was shite, I listened to Unto The Locust, it was good, thought I'd tell everyone.
    Awh man! No way! That sounds really cool.
    kylealex09
    LOL. Cool. What's a Machine Head?? Does it sound like Blink??
    UndyingCarcass
    but why would this help someone who is interested in a blink album? Personally hate people who cant see past the old blink, which was for the best part amazing....i lost my love for blink somewhere between take off your pants and jacket and the self titled album. I dunno i guess i matured and started listening to other more dark stuff, bit of metal as well. But when i bought the self titled album i fell in love all over again. They had grew up alot in those two years, maybe side projects were the reason for that. It was a solid well put together album using various new techniques and instruments to deliver a fuller sound. So after all these years have they grew up anymore.....id say so, id say there new album is different, but lets be honest they hated each other for a long time, things and people change. So is it for the better? I think so, i hate when bands just churn out the same stuff for about five or more albums, its nice to see a band change in a good way as well.....need i mention the name Greenday....cos lets be honest *fail*! At least Blink have still brought us a pleasant album with typical back and forth vocals and over enthusiastic drum rolls in weird places....i like it, and if you dont then thats your choice =)
    leohimself
    X-Vision wrote: the last guy gave the best review in terms of reflecting how i felt about the album. Can't understand how people "love" this album. meh.
    yeah. this album is not bad, but it's not that good either. it's modest imo with a few good but not outstandig songs. my favourite song is the interlude and it's not even blink style.
    Anessa_
    Well that's odd, because this honestly sounds more like AvA and +44 got together and decided to sing each other's songs.
    So lets break this down. Blink 182 was composed of Tom Delange, Mark Hoppus, and Travis Barker. The band broke up. Tom went Angels and Airwaves. Mark and Travis went to +44. And then! The guitarist/singer of Angels and Airwaves, Tom, and the singer/bassist and drummer, Mark and Travis, from +44 combine their talents to reform Blink 182. You're absolutely right. Your comment makes perfect sense. Simply put, the summation of the two bands equals Blink. Your statement is really eye opening for me. Oh wait...
    noisewall11
    m4ss3 m/ wrote: So, what the prog song was supposed to be?
    i was about to ask that.. is that "hint of prog" evident??
    RiveraShreds
    You definitely need to give this album a listen! My absolute favorite songs off the album are "Ghost on a Dance Floor", "Heart's all Gone" and "Kaleidoscope". Some of the songs sounds like classic Blink for the older fans and there's a lot of new stuff going. Great album.
    awisinger
    I enjoyed the album but am I really the only one who can tell that the verse parts Tom sings on "Ghosts on the Dance Floor" are in the same style as the verses in "There Is" by Box Car Racer???
    axeldarkman420
    It was a good album. Hearts all Gone was almost a return to form from Dude ranch with the punk drumming
    -xCaMRocKx-
    I've had the deluxe version on repeat for the last week or so: this is a bloody brilliant album. Natives, Snake Charmer and Wishing Well are some of the best songs they've ever done. I was nervous about this album, but they've proven they still have it. Some of their best work.
    Caboose911
    Actually I don't mind this album too much, it's a decent collection of songs. But yes, they have lost their funny side a bit with it. It's no "Take off your pants and jacket" but it has it's moments. Good album.
    oncenfutureidio
    I think it's funny how people compare this album to Enema or Dude Ranch. You simply can't. The old "crappy punk rock" stage of blink is over. Bands evolve and grow up. Blick is still the same on stage, but their music has changed and it is simply not the 90s anymore. I did really enjoy this cd though
    mafuhungy
    BenBroMusic wrote: I think this is a solid album, i have listened to it so much and it feels like a proper blink record. Personally, i think Enema and Pants+Jacket are always going to be the best of blink. But Neighborhoods is ****ing magical.
    enema of the state was ****in brilliant
    mafuhungy
    Thank god for this album, completely surpassed my expectations. Good old Blink raising the bar and hopefully setting it for this decade. First decent album release for some time.
    JD.15
    thought it was better than expected, tbh im not a fan of travises drumming but thats just my opinion.
    Ranmanbassist18
    Bands grow with their fans. I believe Blink has grown with their fan base pretty well. They have gotten into dark lyrics although not strong lyrics still nice catchy words. I never noticed how well mark plays bass as well i just enjoy the CD. Also agree with getting the deluxe much more worth it than getting 10 songs.
    EpiExplorer
    Sounds like Kasabian. Ironic in a way, both bands are advertised and paired together on Vevo..