Take Off Your Pants and Jacket review by Blink-182

• Released: Jun 11, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Blink-182: Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

The sound, within the confinement of where Blink 182 was when they wrote the record is fairly impressive and goes along with their brand. It was, however somewhat formulaic - or, rather, it kept to the boundaries set for Blink by Enema Of The State, which didn't do Delonge or Hoppus justice. Stand-out track for me is Stay Together For The Kids, as sonically it's dynamic and pleasing, with quiet and melodic verses and wall-of-sound anthemic choruses. It's also the most serious song on the record, read on for the details.

As song-writers (lyrically) I was usually impressed with Blink's skills in this area. Although the topics are few (even the band admits that, demonstrating that that is their aim, in which they succeed), Blink has usually managed to write clever lyrics with more complex lines and really funny jokes. Whether they were appealing to 13-year olds, or amusing themselves, or whatever, I don't know. But lyrics were better. Just plain smarter. TOYPAJ hasn't lived up in this department. As I said before, Stay Together for the Kids is a real standout track, because of renowned Blink quality tp write somewhat simple, yet clever and powerful lyrics regardless of the topic. And Anthem Part Two, and track 11 (can't remember the name) are good as well. Fuck A Dog, despite it's ridiculousness, is funny to an extent. But that's where the virtues of lyrics end. Everything else is just plain, blunt and to the point - yawn. Just damn boring to listen to. And because Delonge is by no means Jimmy Page or Jade Puget (in style at least - he's good, I like him as a guitarist, but he is different "good"), the songs end up a bit like lullabys. They put you to sleep.

As I said several times already, Stay Together... has been my favourite song, both musically and lyrically, as well as vocally. Overall, however, a very disappointing effort from otherwise a great band. If someone did steal it, I'd probably buy it again, and beat the crap out of the motherf***er who did it, but only because stealing is wrong and for the sake of the collection of blink cd's that I own. I really expected better. (just a note, the follow-up self-titled album by the trio is 500% improvement. Get it!)