Take Off Your Pants and Jacket review by Blink-182

• Released: Jun 11, 2001
Blink-182: Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

The sound on this album seems to have matured a little bit from Enema of the State, althought structure of songs seemed to have retained the same structure. Tom Delonge apears to have found the clean chanel on his amp, and uses it to create slow opening for powerful songs (Reckless Abandon, Anthem Part 2), or just beautiful mellow peices (Stay Together for the Kids)and soft verses (Rollercoster). That does not, by any means, mean that this is a slow album. Delonge apears to have goneout of his way to have more than simply powerchords and octaves as the basis for his tunes, all the classic simplicity of Blink is still there, with tracks like Everytime I Look for you and Online Songs. Mark Hoppus's Bass playing is a little more complex, and a great compensation for the lack of rythem guitar. Don't get me wrong, Enema of the State was a great album, all Take Off Your Pants and Jacket does is take everything that was great about its predesessor and make them better.

There are many instant classics on this album. Other than the singles, (The Rock Show, First Date and Stay Together for the Kids), Take Off also contains Anthem Part 2, Reckless Abandon, and Story of a Lonely Guy. The lyrics speak out to their teen audience, covering a rebeliousness (Anthem Part 2), broken hearts (Story of a Lonely Guy, divorce (Stay Together For the Kids), and teenage runaways (Shut Up). And it just wouldn't be a Blink album without their typical toilet humor, and 43 second Happy Holidays you Bastard is certainly a standout on the album.

This album, although no where near as creative as their follow up album "blink-182", is possibly Blink's best yet. It's one of the few albums I will constantly listen to from start to finish, and each song has the power and energy we've all come to expect from these californian punk rockers. A definate must for any punk rock fans.

Jon777
    queenslander47 wrote: turbopunk2000 wrote: I'm sorry, but this band sucks. They could at least write songs that acctually mean something."In the car I just can't wait, to pick you up on our very first date Is it cool if I hold your hand? Is it wrong if I think it's lame to dance?" Pretty bad lyrics like that are the very reason many ppl love blink. yes the lyrics are simple but that makes it so easy to relate with. blink isn't about having the best lyrics or being the best at their instruments, its about good fun music that teens the world over love
    Listeners like them; musicians and songwriters don't