A Weekend in the City review by Bloc Party

• Released: Nov 19, 2007
Bloc Party: A Weekend in the City

The sound is much darker than the last album. Darker and with more electronica influences. As the sound is highly influenced by Radiohead, with lots of effects and also the guitar sounds, I don't think it is as original as the stuff they came up with in Silent Alarm. They also bring in som violins for the track "On." Sounds excellent. Kele's singing is better than on their debut and the use of second voices are excellent, often just humming on a completely different melody. Sounds great!

The lyrics is the absolute best part of this album. They describe citylife in London really well. They seem to have matured quite a bit since Silent Alarm. The lyrics was the only thing I liked right from the start except from the drums. they're darker, more realistic and more mature.

My overall impression of this album is a 9. Absolutely the best album out so long this year in my opinion. It's obvious that they spent lots of time on it to perfect it. Most impressive songs whould have to be "Song For Clay (Disappear Here)", "On" and "Where Is Home?" The best part is, as I've mentioned before, the lyrics. The way Kele explains things will give you chills. And yes I whould indeed buy it again if it was stolen. I'd even catch the thief so tht I had two of them.

phil conry
    TOB00 wrote: ive heard of these guys. never listened though... mebbee i should...
    dude i order you to go buy this cd, and the first one, and listen to them in a dark room for 24 hours solid. serioulsy, go now.
    phil conry
    The-Red-Sky wrote: k*CMYK wrote: To the first guy, it's Bloc Party, no Block, ffs. Yeah, you'd imagine since he bought the CD he would know what the band name was.
    oi guys calm down, maybe just a typo or writing too fast.. i got your back first review guy
    tothelighthouse
    Fab CD, although i don't understand why America got the bonus track, after all, a lot of the album's undertones were aimed, well maybe not aimed, but directed at America. Eg. on Uniform.