A Weekend in the City review by Bloc Party

• Released: Nov 19, 2007
Bloc Party: A Weekend in the City

After collaborating with producer Paul Epworth for 'Silent Alarm', I was certainly anticipating a blend of slow, mellow indie songs and the odd all out rock one, but I was surprised when I heard 'A Weekend In The City'. It starts off with a vocal solo from Kele to what seems like a relatively laid back song; but then the riff kicks in and you are taken back to old memories of songs like 'Helicopter' and 'Luno'. Song For Clay (Disappear Here), certainly is a good way to kick start an album and reintroduce Bloc Party after an absence of 1-2 years. As the album goes on you start hearing the old Bloc Party with a new twist. Synths are used much more prominantly and have been brought to centre stage in some of the songs, while there are still the wild effects used by Russell to add real ambience to the music. I got the impression that they have moved on a bit from 'Silent Alarm', but are still holding onto the sounds which caught the public's attention a coupl of years ago.

This time round, Kele has had more of a chance to show off his vocal ability, and listeners will not be disappointed to hear Kele and Gordon's harmonising. In some of the songs, Garrett 'Jacknife' Lee has used a choir like texture to make a big sound using Kele and Gordon's voices to powerful effect. You also get the sense when listening to 'A Weekend In The City', that Kele has become more thoughtful and precise about his lyrics; and it has paid off. The lyrics are observant, intruiging and you really feel that he is talking to the people about the things that are wrong (and right) about this generation. He also writes songs with powerful sentiments that you can really relate to. On tracks such as 'Sunday', 'I Still Remember' and 'On', Kele shows his romantic side of lyricism, but without being cliche.

Overall, 'A Weekend In The City' is an improvement on 'Silent Alarm'. It is a more focussed sound and I felt that they have really found themselves. My favourite tracks would have to be: 'Sunday', 'The Prayer', 'I Still Remember' and 'Song For Clay (Disappear Here)'.

Draken
    break-me-in
    Draken wrote: I actually found the album to be quite bland like most of Bloc Party's work. This doesn't mean that they are a bad band it's just i find them about as interesting as Coldplay.
    Nothing is quite as bland as Coldplay. I actually think Silent Alarm harboured more dull, boring tracks than this one.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Brilliant album! Hunting For Witches and I Still Remembers are instant classics, and I love SRXT, aswell as Sunday. Just a great listing of tracks. It's starts off loud and roaring (Song For Clay, Hunting For Witches), goes mellow for a couple songs in the middle, then finishes with the infectious tracks (I Still Remember, Sunday, SRXT).
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    Oh, and, BTW, I got my copy of the album from Best Buy but I have no "bonus track" on it... :/
    no_hats_allowed
    I love Silent Alarm, because it was so original and unlike any other band. The songs took a bit of getting used to but after i's listened to them a few times i couldn't get enough of them. A Weekend in the City is really good and the songs should be amazing live, but I still say that Silent Alarm is better. The drums and guitars are still good, but I think Kele's voice and the bass were actually better on Silent Alarm. Album worth buying though.