A Weekend in the City review by Bloc Party

• Released: Nov 19, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Bloc Party: A Weekend in the City

A band can't survive on one album alone, the big rule of music, the next album has to be better than the last, and like it says in the title of the first song disappear here. A Weekend In The City is very poor. Something tells me this is not Bloc Party, this is the record label, perhaps too scared of failing, to do what many bands such as Fightstar have done, ditch their label to make the record that they want. 'Silent Alarms' was nothing short of amazing, stomping riffs and powerful songs that brought Bloc Party to the public attention but 'A Weekend In The City' is the sound of a band selling out. My problem with the album is not the band, it's the industry.

Lyrically I have never felt Bloc Party have excelled, often talking about very cliche subjects, mainly love. In this album, the topic hasn't been extended by any real margin. The lyrics are OK, they flow, they're sung well but aren't anything remotely special and don't set them apart from other bands in the whole 'indie' area.

Bloc Party are all talented musicians, which they have proven in the past. The album is a sell-out, one of 2005's finest albums was 'Silent Alarm', one of 2006's biggest shocks I found was the lack of edge in 'Weekend In The City'. Only noticeable track is 'I Still Remember' the rest of the album in all honesty is rubbish, expect gigs to be filled of middle-aged screaming women. If I lost the album I wouldn't replace it, a must see for 2005 has turned into an avoid for the future.

ajsuk
    ...Block Party... *shakes his head in a defeated way* (Bloc!!!) Other than that, still loving the album what is it now, 8 months on?
    RiotRadio
    Does anybody really believe that the guy from the UG team, the first reviewer, 1. really listened to Silent Alarm and 2. actually read the lyrics to A Weekend In The City ? First of all, Silent Alarm is pretty ****ing far from silly and happy, there is no chance the guy really listenend to the album before writing his review. Hunting For Witches, the weirdest track ? It's the most simple one in there after I Still Remember. Doesn't change that it's really one of the best of the album though. And the funniest thing is when he says the album is about love. 2 songs out of 10 about love isn't really a good proportion, is it ? Like someone said in another and much better review, the themes of the album are sometimes too obvious : suicide, racism, fear, terrorism, the downsides of our society and generation... anything but love, please. Listen to a Coldplay album if you wanna hear about love. And mr. UG manage to mispell all the way through the name of the band he's reviewing, as well as both the first nam AND the last name of Thom Yorke. Good job. You should work for Rolling Stone Magazine, they seriously are in need of good writers since the last few years.