A Weekend in the City review by Bloc Party

• Released: Nov 19, 2007
Bloc Party: A Weekend in the City

Bloc Party creates a beautiful soundscape of indie/dance music on Weekend In The City. Synthesizers are used to create a rather atmospheric sound, but there are still amazing, very much rock, guitar riffs that drive the songs, Russell's playing also adds a great element that is very unique. The songs are very intricate and have many different parts that are memorable and sometimes it's hard to remember which ones are from which songs, but that's why it is such a great album, not necessarly individual songs, but the whole album is great.

Great lyrics. Hunting For Whitches has a very good message about the post-911 western world and how paranoia and uneasiness leads to racism and bad decisions. Uniform could be the official Indie anthem, whith its lyrics about everyone seeming the same and wearing the same clothes and what not. Waiting For The 7.18 is personal favorite in terms of the lyrics they are very moving, about just enjoying the simple pleasures in life.

The most impressive songs would have to be I Still Remember, Waiting For The 7.18, Hunting For Witches, and Uniform. I love it's sincerity and epic music, rememberable choruses, great and unique guitar work. I would definitely buy it again, it is one of my favorite albums of all time, highly recommended.

sam i am
    The review by "Gwynell", I would have sworn was about a different album! Out of the more successful british indie bands , Bloc Party definately seem like they have complete control over their sound. The fact that they were able to release songs souch as "Flux" and recently "Mercury", with such a drastic change in sound, proves this. I defientaly wouldn't put BP down as another band under their lable's thumb! As for the lyrics, there are only a couple of "love songs" on the album.... and I doubt you would see The Pigeon Detecitives singing about terrorist attacks or immigration!.
    DeanMarkleysDad
    i would honestly give this album a 10. its the best album iv heard in a long time and now these guys are one of my fav bands. almost made me wanna trade my ibanez in for a telecaster. lol not quite but almost. ps silent alarm remixed is gold