Silent Alarm review by Bloc Party

• Released: Mar 14, 2005
Bloc Party: Silent Alarm

Many people I've heard talk about Silent Alarm say they don't quite get it on the first listen, but if you carry on you will be rewarded, not quite sure I agree with that I loved it the moment I first placed the CD into my hi-fi the opener "Like Eating Glass" is awesome and the rest of the 12 tracks carry this theme on. I know everyone says that Bloc Party are the new Franz or whatever but in all honesty there is no comparision between them, Bloc Party are so far superior it's untrue. Bloc Party diversify there music on this album its hard 2 pin down a specific genre as all songs sound so different but all songs are amazingly accomplished for a debut record from Russell's (lead guitar) effects dripping guitar licks to.

The lyrics on this album are great, infact its almost worth not having a beat behind them and doing them accapella, you couldn't do that though the beats in themselves are beyond amazing. Kele's (lead singer) voice is so different to anyone elses out at the moment, he sings on such songs as "Helicopter" with an urgency I havent heard for sometime, but then songs like "Blue Light" he sings with an amazingly chilled voice almost crooning, Gordon's (bassist) backing vocals harmonise so neatly with Kele's, you would think that they are blood related. The lyrics can be complex first few times but thats a good thing surely making people think about music also they are amazingly mature for someone who is only 23.

As mentioned above the main comparisions Bloc Party face are with Franz but this is hardly fair to them at all Franz are nowhere near as diverse on their on CD and just stick to there influences like glue rarely moving on from there and thus get monotonous (also Bloc Party are actually better live than they are on CD). Bloc Party on the otherhand are as impossible to commit to one genre as politicians are to commit to the truth. My personal favorite song on this album is "Like Eating Glass" because of its haunting lyrics and awesome opening 20 seconds. I don't know american release dates for this CD but would advise any Franz fans to buy it, listen to it and love it and then try and argue about all my comments on franz. I could never lose this CD mainly because since I bought it, it's rarely been more than 5 minutes out of my CD player. As for thieves who stole my CD player containing the CD I would go out and buy 5 copies and deposit them in safe places incase of such an event happening again that is how good this album is.