Silent Alarm review by Bloc Party

• Released: Mar 14, 2005
Bloc Party: Silent Alarm

This is a perfect seasonal album, as the cover shows - winter, open places. A cold setting with bright music. The messy verses with clear choruses makes each song like a river of Kele's catchy vocals and the fast guitars. What makes Bloc Party's sound different from other bands like the bravery or Franz Ferdinand is that instead of forcing the vocals and rhythms, it seems to fit together naturally. The studio production is also great, The last song "Compliments" makes you feel as if your floating in the urban night, its a truly simple song with solid emotion. I'd like to say also that we all know there is not many black singers in lead rock groups, Lajon from Sevendust, Skindred and Kele from Bloc Party are the only ones I can think of and each of those bands have killer presence with their voices.

The lyrics are aggressive and dynamic, Kele keeps it going in a catchy songs such as "Banquet," "Like Eating Glass" the political outcry "Helicopter" and the unique sound of "Positive Tension" But this album has really awesome soft tracks as well. Blue Light offers ambient guitars with keles vocals dripping like syrup, then a suprise U2 sounding towards the end. "This Modern Love" makes you feel relaxed and confident in the bands sound and is another highlight on the album. Bottom line, Bloc Partys songs are straight to the point averaging around 3 minutes.

This band sounds like it would be a mix of U2 & Coldplay but the influence is primarily indie and sonic wave. There is no other band out there right now that sounds just like these guys. The first half of the tracks couldn't be better, the 2nd half doesn't quiet measure up to the bar the first 7 tracks offer but they find their own place in the album, no real flaws, no overproduction or underproduction, the messy verses with double vocal choruses sound really good. The last song "Compliments" really made an impression on me, it will change your life! I haven't felt that musical emotion since the Shins and Coldplay. It's hard not to like Bloc Party, they keep the beats going with the refreshing vocals of Kele and the upbeat guitars and drums. Also some help of a keyboard from time to time, this band has a bright future. I look forward to catching a concert sometime.