Silent Alarm review by Bloc Party

• Released: Mar 14, 2005
Bloc Party: Silent Alarm

Bloc Party is the reason why England always has a one up in the music scene as opposed to the US. The first track, Like Eating Glass, starts out with one guitar playing one single note over and over again. Shortly therefore comes the drums. Matt Tong is the best drummer of modern rock. No question at all. He can drum circles around anyone. Then Kele come in with his high pitched voice and the song is off. This is one of the best albums of 2005. Without question this is my second favorite album. The production is great and so is the musicianship. All in all a great sound.

Bloc Party has some wierd but catchy lyrics. All the time they work. Kele signs in a high pitched voice most of the time, but on tracks like "She's Hearing Voices" he brings out a bass voice that is so low you can barely understand what he is say. This is an awesome sounding album and so are the lyrics.

Bloc Party is a pretty original band. They prove that British rock is alive and kicking. There is nothing I hate about this album. A great album through and through. If I lost this album I would buy it again. It's very good.

mr_johansan
    These guys are awesome and this is such a brilliant album shame Remixed is crap :S
    glugger
    shotgunxwedding, if this is ur 2nd fav song, then what's ur first?
    The_Fuzz22
    To the unregistered guy from April 4th in 2005. Your review is a little thin on actual direct descriptions of the album, choosing instead to point out other good bands that these guys have drawn influence from. Granted we are all entitled to our opinions, but try and keep reviews of other groups out of this. What we should take away from this is that Bloc Party have managed to take styles from many different areas and put them all together to make something new. Realistically, that's all music is these days, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    prt1990
    This is my favourite album; it's fantastic in every way and pretty much encompasses anything you could desire from music - it's that good.
    halvies
    Such an underrated band. This is almost the perfect debut album. The only flaw would be Compliments, which is still amazing, just not as amazing as others
    mallen i am
    "Also, Roland, the singer. Sorry, I mean 'Kele' (as he is now known) is trying harder and harder to sound like Robert Smith (of The Cure fame) - stop!" His name is Kelechukwu Rowland Okereke. So he's using his first name. As opposed to his middle name. Bad man?