Crimes review by Blood Brothers

• Released: Oct 12, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Blood Brothers: Crimes

The sound of The Blood Brothers has progressively changed over the years. It has slowly and steadily become more tame, like a controlled chaos. Crimes has a sound all its own. It is far more tame than any of the other albums. No more obscenely crazy guitar riffs from guitarist Cody Votolato and no more intricate basslines from bassist Morgan Henderson. The simplicity of this album, although good at times, is a let-down for the most part. Vocalists Johnny Whitney and Jordan Blilie have also changed their styles. There is less screaming than on any of the previous albums and more singing. Burn Piano Island, Burn, the album preceding Crimes, was their best effort yet. However, Crimes is a let-down after being the follow-up to such an amazing album. Its sound is far too tame and nowhere near as crazy as it should be. Think of Crimes' sound as The Mars Volta meets the old Blood Brothers, except The Mars Volta beat this shit out of The Blood Brothers and force them to make it far more tame and mellow.

The lyrics are still the same. Incoherent and random. Although, if you look closely enough, some of the lyrics do make sense. I'll give the lyrics a solid four due to the fact they keep to The Blood Brothers' style for the most part.

This album, although not horrible, is a terrible let-down in the wake of Burn Piano Island, Burn. It is just average in every way and hardly keeps to The Blood Brothers' style at all. I'm sorry to give this album an average three. It felt like this album was so half-assed. Although, The Blood Brothers did say they wanted songs easier to play live, they should've made these songs better instead of sacrificing their quality so they wouldn't have to whine about the songs tiring them out on stage. I love The Blood Brothers to death, but this album is half-assed to the max. If you're going to listen to The Blood Brothers, don't start with this record. Take it from me, I'm a seasoned Blood Brothers vet.

Teron
    chaos is a pattern you can't decipher until you are outside of it.
    kiteblues11
    This is my favorite album by Blood Brothers, better than BPIB check them out! and for a great band R.I.P. (1997-2007)