Crimes Review

artist: Blood Brothers date: 07/22/2005 category: compact discs
Blood Brothers: Crimes
Released: Oct 12, 2004
Genre: World
Crimes is Blood Brothers' V2 debut, and their fourth album overall. The quintet is still led by blaring, interwoven vocals of Johnny Whitney and Jordan Blilie.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 7.9
 9.1
 6.6
Crimes Reviewed by: gitaroo33, on october 18, 2004

Sound: The sound on the new Blood Brother's cd has changed a little bit since burn piano island burn. The keyboard riffs in some of the songs are very solid and catchy. The music itself is easier to pick out too, on their other albums I felt like I always caught the vocals before the music but its equal now. Johnny now sings in a very high pitched way instead of screaming all the time (screamin still exists though). It reminds me of that yeah, yeah, yeah girl oh well. A bunch of new instruments are played with now. Jordan plays guitar, Johnny plays keyboards with funny names and their are trumpets. // 10

Lyrics: Their are two singers and they blend so good. The vocals are so fun to listen to. The lyrics while hard to just pick up and hear while listening but if you read the lyrics they are very clever and vulgar. I enjoy the writing style so much. I vote 5. // 10

Overall Impression: So I think that it is their best album yet. It is not a short album like "This Adultery Is Ripe". The songs seem more musical in a way its a fun listen. Some of the best songs are "Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck", "Peacock Skeleton With Crooked Feathers", "Teen Heat", and "My First Kiss At The Public Execution" if my house got blown up and I lost this cd, I would definately go buy a new one in a second. // 10

Crimes Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2004

Sound: The Blood Brothers intense high energy sounds something like the refused meets modest mouse. The guitars sound like something you would hear in a factory, and the drums fill and compliment perfectly. The singers amazingly combine their voices into a chaotic symphony. First Rate. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly dark and almost nonsensical, but they make perfect sense. The song Rats, Rats, And Rats is a dialog between two people and the filth that controls them. The lyrics also follow the mood set by the music. Vocally the Blood Brothers are incredibly talented, going from melody to chaos in an instant, seen emphatically in Love Rhymes With A Hideous Car Wreck, and Feed Me To The Forest. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion Crimes is the best Blood Brothers album yet, it features such powerful energetic songs, specifically Feed Me To The Forest, Trash Flavored Trash, and Rats, Rats and Rats for Candy. I can't say that I hate anything about this album. It's just f--king awesome, straight up. // 10

Crimes Reviewed by: Something_Vague, on december 13, 2004

Sound: Okay this is the The Blood Brother's 4th album, I consider it their 2nd, because their first two were the worst thing in the recent memory. This is the follow up to the critically aclaimed "Burn Piano Island Burn!" If you loved "BPIP" then you will most deffinately love this album. It is alot more slow paced and more electronic than "BPIP" but still amazing none the less. The story behind crimes is, each song depicts a crime of humanity give or take. Like in the song Devastator it depicts slavery in the 1800's. If you look really deep you can see the meaning behind each song, which makes listening to this a joy. The dual screaming is just simply amazing this time around, they have really upgraded their vocals this time around, they don't sound off key and sound more like singers this time around. The sound of this is very dark and very mysterious yet, powerful and extremely fast paced. Each song has it's own style so you will find something you like on this album, I promise. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as vague this time around, they are more clear cut, but still very very very amazing as for lyrics go. They are incredibly talented writers and can manage to make anything flow with amazing rhythme, half the lyrics don't rhyme and so off in syllable count that it makes one wonder how they pulled off such flow. The lyrics are amazing the singers are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album of this year, bar none. The songs are powerful, enigmatic, and sullen. The lyrics are more than amazing and the guitar work is superb, but what makes this stand out is the use of the electric piano and synth, that makes this album have a very modern feel and very dark. I love this album, period. If this were stolen, I would first kill how ever stole it, but only after congratulating them for stealing such an amazing album, I actually bought 2 copies of this, one for the car and one for the house. That's how amazing it is. // 10

Crimes Reviewed by: gowdyjames, on march 04, 2005

Sound: Hum, and interesting question this. They have two singers. Both have fairly high pitch voices but one has a voice so high you often mistake it for a girl. I'd say the sound was kinda like a cross between the vocals of Sikth with the playing of Mars Volta (and other such bands). // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are the kind of lyrics where you can imagine they come up with them by each writting down a word on a piece of paper. Whacking it in a hat and drawing them out, then singing thme in the order they come out. In other words, pretentious but at the same town sound good. The music runs in parallel with the guitars and work well together. Overall they mix well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this band are good, very good, I am borowing another album of theirs of a friend at the moment and it is just as good. Though I can see them being for a select group, i. e. one of my friends got a headache trying to listen to the whole album. Most impresive are the ways in which they manage to mix their voices and incorperate what are fairly simple beats and chords to form a complex sounding, genuinely really enjoyable album. // 8

Crimes Reviewed by: Ambulance X, on july 22, 2005

Sound: The sound of The Blood Brothers has progressively changed over the years. It has slowly and steadily become more tame, like a controlled chaos. Crimes has a sound all its own. It is far more tame than any of the other albums. No more obscenely crazy guitar riffs from guitarist Cody Votolato and no more intricate basslines from bassist Morgan Henderson. The simplicity of this album, although good at times, is a let-down for the most part. Vocalists Johnny Whitney and Jordan Blilie have also changed their styles. There is less screaming than on any of the previous albums and more singing. Burn Piano Island, Burn, the album preceding Crimes, was their best effort yet. However, Crimes is a let-down after being the follow-up to such an amazing album. Its sound is far too tame and nowhere near as crazy as it should be. Think of Crimes' sound as The Mars Volta meets the old Blood Brothers, except The Mars Volta beat this shit out of The Blood Brothers and force them to make it far more tame and mellow. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are still the same. Incoherent and random. Although, if you look closely enough, some of the lyrics do make sense. I'll give the lyrics a solid four due to the fact they keep to The Blood Brothers' style for the most part. // 8

Overall Impression: This album, although not horrible, is a terrible let-down in the wake of Burn Piano Island, Burn. It is just average in every way and hardly keeps to The Blood Brothers' style at all. I'm sorry to give this album an average three. It felt like this album was so half-assed. Although, The Blood Brothers did say they wanted songs easier to play live, they should've made these songs better instead of sacrificing their quality so they wouldn't have to whine about the songs tiring them out on stage. I love The Blood Brothers to death, but this album is half-assed to the max. If you're going to listen to The Blood Brothers, don't start with this record. Take it from me, I'm a seasoned Blood Brothers vet. // 6

Comments