Box Of Secrets review by Blood Red Shoes

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
Blood Red Shoes: Box Of Secrets

Blood Red Shoes' sound is very back to basics- There are only two members: Laura-Mary Carter (Guitar, vocals) and Steven Ansell. Despite this, their sound is very catchy and memorable thanks to their songs being made up mostly of riffs. Their style is very indie/punk, as Laura admits her influences are 'Babes in Toyland' and 'Courtney Love's Hole', so if you prefer simplicity over technicality, this is a great album. They prefer to use Telecaster plugged into JCM2000's, (cranked of course) so expect plenty of overdriven riffery.

The lyrics of the songs on the album are quite poetic in some cases, which makes a difference from all the what-the-hell lyrics of many a punk band today. Laura and Steven use harmonies and repeats to make the words sound like a mantra, very wavy and psycadelic, in my opinion. The singer's skills are not overtly impressive, but they are good and fit with the music. They are loud when they need to be to fit with the guitar parts. Laura and Steven's shouts fall in with the music and give it a more punky feel. I'll give this a 7 as lyrics a repeated alot, which means sometimes songs can get repetitive.

The things I love about this album is that it is different: the simple, catchy lines are very memorable, and do not compare to other albums where the playing is mainly made of chords- here it is mainly single note lines. Standout tracks are 'It's getting boring by the Sea' because of the catchy riffs and lyrics, 'This is not for you' because of the use of heavy and light riffs and melodic lyrics. And 'Forgive Nothing' for a great, yet simple riff that continues throughout the whole song. However,the repetitve nature of the words at points sometimes can get boring. However, if this album was stolen, I will buy it again as it hooks onto like glue. Overall, I like it alot, but metalheads or fans of Joe Satriani or Paul Gilbert might have a hard time fitting into the simplicity.

teamcooper
    Brilliant album and despite the influences it still sounds quite British which is good. Good mixture of vocals, sounds and dynamics. Isnt as much a revival as a worthy addition.
    leper_affinity
    sevenchurches
    leper_affinity wrote: I don't understand why this band is getting so much hype (at least, they are over here). They're seriously generic and very, very boring.
    A lot of people like them. Perhaps that is the reason?
    egroeg1
    these guys are awesome, and their really nice people as well. best album of the year so far in my view.
    jamesdjharrod
    You sir, are a c*nt
    Pricey85
    Great Little Band! Got to love the riffs, simple and dam catchy. Fingers crossed the new album is fresh and just as good