Idolator review by Blood Stain Child

• Released: Aug 22, 2005
Blood Stain Child: Idolator

The opinions I've seen on this relatively-unknown Japanese melodic death band are split. Some hail is as the greatest creation ever in the melodic death scene, and others pass it off as utter trash. It's just a melodeath album, the same kind of stuff you'd expect from Mors Principium Est or (back in the '90s) In Flames. If you enjoy the genre, you'll find this album entertaining. If you don't, you'll think it's drab and derivative, regardless of the electronica influences. Speaking of which, the addition of techno-styled effects in the background is what sets this band apart amongst their fans. It isn't actually a huge part of the overall sound; while there is the occasional electronic break in some songs (as well Nuclear Trance, a totally electronic instrumental), all it does is add atmosphere, since the influences don't usually go beyond sound effects. What sets Blood Stain Child apart in my mind is the fact that these may be the catchiest melodic death metal songs of all time, especially considering that melodeath bands are generally known for producing catchy songs. They will stay in your head for ages; even after weeks of not touching this album, I still find myself humming the piano sections of Embrace Me. The music can best be described as "fun." These songs have the upbeat mentality you would expect from Blink 182 and not from a metal band. And contrary to what you may think, it works.

Vocally, the band takes a minor hit. Ryo's vocals aren't annoying, but there isn't much variety. His growls are all high-pitched, his cleans are usually forced and drawn out. While the style suits the music just fine, I would have liked to see a liked to see him switch it up more. The only lyrics I could find were for Final Sky and Embrace Me. Both songs deal with some kind of love interest, although I question the lyricist's grasp of the English language as the words don't seem to make total sense.

Those who dislike melodic death metal because of its tendency to rip itself off will likely not be swayed by this band, as it still uses the same techniques and ideas that have been present since the early '90s. Fans of the genre, on the other hand, will find Blood Stain Child refreshing; I've yet to find anything in metal that can replicate the upbeat, super-catchy feeling these songs have. While not unique on the surface, these guys are different enough to earn a few listens from most metal fans. If you enjoy other modern melodeath bands like Mors Principium Est, you'll probably find something in Blood Stain Child. Check 'em out.

EvilWeevil
    Just got their Mozaiq album and can honestly say that it rocks my world,, seriously reminiscent vocally and guitar sound(ily) of In Flames.
    xXSTR8FSXx
    Had this album for a few months and it's awesome! I love the mix between the trance/techno sounds with the mix of heavy metal.