Grand Feast For Vultures Review

8.9
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Grand Feast For Vultures Reviewed by: worldwideatroph, on may 22, 2009

Sound: Blood Tsunami really know how to serve up a slab of modern thrash metal that to me always stays one step ahead of the competition. There's nothing too original about them, they simply hammer out furious thrash metal tracks played with tight execution and brutal precision. With 2009's Grand Feast for Vultures, the boys from Oslo have proved that they can still kick plenty of ass. The production of this album is very raw, but is great. The band produces themselves, and they do a great job at making a brutal sounding metal record. One thing I always liked about Blood Tsunami is the presence of the bass guitar, which is too often overlooked these days. Pete and "Dor" write some killer riffs, whether they are melodic, fast, heavy, or crushingly slow, and they also fill every song with some sick solos. Faust is, as always just an awesome drummer. He has some killer fills and great technique with his lines. All in all I'd say Blood Tsunami is one of the tightest bands out there today. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics deal with basically the same topics as their first album, like hatred, death, killing, destruction, etc. etc. one thing that has always made Blood Tsunami unique, however, is Pete's distinct scream. His raspy voice is very harsh and dry, and sounds well suited for black metal, but works great for modern thrash metal as well! // 6

Overall Impression: 01.Castle Of Skulls: 4.5/5 this is a great way to start an album, fast, heavy, and raw. 02.Nothing But Contempt: 4.0/5 another sick thrash song, with a crushingly heavy riff in the middle. The end of the song is also really, really funny when Pete like clears out his throat or something... I dunno what he did but I laughed. 03.Personal Exorcism: 5.0/5 this is my favorite song on the album, the whole thing is just sick. The main riff gives me chills, especially just how everything fits. I think Faust should get the drum beat of the year award for the main drum line, it's so fast, I love it. 04.Laid To Waste: 3.5/5 this song hasn't grown on me. It's a good song, just sort of standard. 05.Grand Feast For Vultures: 4.5/5 awesome thrash metal tune. So very heavy, and an awesome chorus I just want to chant. Grand! Feast! Grand Feast For Vultures! 06.Horsehead Nebula: 5.0/5 a 12 minute instrumental? How sick is that? There are some awesome riffs in this song, from slow and heavy to bright and melodic, this is just a masterpiece. 07.One Step Closer To The Grave: 4.5/5 this song didn't need to be 10 minutes long, but it is awesome nevertheless! a great way to end this musical masterpiece of an album. This album is a must for metalheads everywhere. It is a great CD to just turn on and headbang to, and one of the best albums I've bought this year. // 9

Comments